SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
betsyf_gw

Cutting down a solid wood door

betsyf
18 years ago

Hi. Hubby and I are finishing off our basement family room which has a 12' wet bar and home theater - so far so good. We have a doorway leading into the family room that is only framed out - no door or jamb yet.

I have a solid oak door from a very old Victorian mansion that is 38 3/4" wide, 96" tall and the upper half is beveled glass. This door is so heavy that to get it from our garage down to the basement will be a major effort. Our son and a friend will be enlisted for their brawn. This door will look magnificient when installed because I'm going for a "stuffy men's club" look in the family room.

My idea is to enlarge the doorway opening to accomodate the width of the door. My finished floor to ceiling height is 93 1/2" (suspended ceiling - need to access pipes and wires above!).

I think that 2" can be cut off the top of the door and 7" from the bottom and still work in the opening. Hubby is resisting because he wants to work with a pre-hung door. I think we are good enough renovators that we can build our own jamb and get this door hung straight.

Any thoughts or warnings before I either push for my door or give in to a new pre-hung?

Comments (9)