SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justjill3

Help! Adding new light fixtures vs. strange problem.

Jill Morris
14 years ago

First, the problem. I have two flush-mounted ceiling light fixtures on my front porch. Bulbs are constantly (1 yr) blowing out. This is frequently accompanied by a spark. It seems as though I recall having a spark at the wall switch,as well. I have tried fluorescent as well as incandescent bulbs. Along with this problem, I hate opening the fixtures. Goodness knows what lives in them. I want to replace these flush-mounted fixtures with pendant fixtures. That will allow me to just reach up and change the bulbs. Could there be a short or an overload?

Secondly, I want to beef up my security by having more security lights under the eaves & at the corners of my house.

Now, I have used two electrical businesses. I am reluctant to use them again, because they wanted to sell me an annual maintenance contract. To complicate matters more, my breaker box has no empty spaces. In fact, both electricians have told me that the circuit that is screwed to the exterior of the box shouldn't be there. Will my box have to be upgraded for the new lights? Do I need a maintenance contract? Should I go with a big company?

Any answers would be GREATLY appreciated.

Comments (4)