SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd_gw

Funcolors - Insight Please?

ttodd
13 years ago

Usually I can coordinate paint colors fairly well but have just recently made a mistake in my LR w/ a shade of white. I think I pinpointed the problem but am wondering how to counteract it. My brain starts to fog over when I begin thinking about the colorwheel.

I used SW West Highland White in this NE facing room w/ low light, covered front porch further cutting down on natural light from the front and trees in front of the house. There is a large window on the side wall that lets in a ton of light.

The tints in the Westhighland white are (in order) Raw Umber, Magenta then Yellow. Something I checked after I purchased the paint and had some inklings then that it may be wrong for my room despite my samples that I'd painted.

I'm getting an unsightly yellow/ green cast in the room which nobody else can seem to pick-up except me. The room is supposed to have a crisp (but not cold) white color to balane the mix of rustic pieces and streamlined pieces.

I picked out some other contenders and called the paint store to see what tints were in them so as to avoid the yellow/ green cast.

Of the colors that I looked at one is tinted w/ gold and black (BM White Heron) while the other is tinted w/ gold, black and somethng else that wasn't yellow or gold (BM White Opulance).

What tints should I be looking for to counteract the green leaf cast and not go yellow on me?

Any tips to educate me on this would be most welcome. Paint colors suggestions to give me a 'ballpark' of what I should be looking for would be wonderful but I know that I need to have the overall foundation to be able to make better informed choices.

Comment