SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imamommy

college expenses vs. taking in a grandchild

imamommy
15 years ago

The following posts are from another thread but I don't want to hijack or allow that thread to be taken off topic, so I am starting a new thread...

* Posted by imamommy (My Page) on

Mon, Jul 7, 08 at 21:15

" * Posted by kkny (My Page) on

Mon, Jul 7, 08 at 20:13

It seems to me that biological parents feel a greater desire to help children and that children in intact families are more likely to have education paid for, etc. I think these things should be discussed before a second marriage."

I've lost track of how many times you have posted this. C'mon, what does that have to do with grown children that refuse to go off and make their own life?

If children in intact families are more likely to have an education paid for... then when the intact family is broken, the marital settlement agreement should include the provisions of how the children's education will be paid for. If that's done, there should be no question about it later in a second or third or fourth marriage. Why should it have to be discussed before the second marriage. If it's in the agreement, then all it would take is to explain to the second wife/husband that pursuant to my agreement, I'm paying $XX on my child's college education. Then the second wife/husband can choose to go through with or back out of the marriage. They can't change an order that exists. If it's not a part of the agreement, then it is assumed that they haven't agreed on anything or hadn't planned that far into the future.

I guarantee you that my husband did not ever discuss paying for his daughter's college education with his ex. When the time comes for her to go to college, it will depend on a few factors... her grades, her desire for college and his ability to pay for it. (as well as her mom's ability to help out)

I think it would be great if all divorcing couples would put it in their agreements and it would alleviate any argument from a future spouse.

**********************************************************************************************

* Posted by kkny (My Page) on

Mon, Jul 7, 08 at 21:21

So if parents dont think about expenses of children, they dont have to pay? This is why I say talk it out before hand?

When posters talk about adults "in their twenties" I think this is relevant.

And I doubt many people put babysitting grandchildren in their custody arrangements, which I why I think people should talk about these things before they get marrried.

*************************************************************************************************

Planning for college expense is NOT the same as an unexpected turn of events that people are faced with in life. There are certain things we can expect. We expect our children to grow up. We expect our children to go out into the world and make a life for themselves. College is a part of that and so sometimes (not always) we expect to pay for college. We expect our children to get married & have their own family (or whatever life THEY choose to have if it's without kids) but very few people EXPECT their children to live with them forever and/or give them grandchildren to raise.

Unexpected things happen. Adult children must move back for whatever reason. They bring grandkids with them or leave grandkids with you because they cannot take care of them due to their own problems. Someone may die and that creates an unexpected circumstance. You cannot discuss EVERY little thing that might happen in a second marriage. That is why I said in another thread recently.... IF YOU DON'T WANT TO DEAL WITH CHILDREN (or the problems they might bring) THEN DON'T GET INVOLVED WITH SOMEONE THAT HAS A CHILD. When you get together with someone that has a child, you have to know there are unexpected things that can come up and if you can't deal with that, then you have no business with someone that has kids. PERIOD.

My kids are in their late teens/early 20's. I never discussed college with their fathers. There is no agreement or order to say who pays for what. If they want to go to college, then if I can afford to help them, I will. If I am relying on my husband's income to help them, he gets a say in how his money is spent. If I have my own money, I get to decide. It's pretty simple. If it were in an agreement prior to my marriage, then it's a done deal. Divorcing parents that discuss financing their child's college education while they are married would certainly be foolish to not put that in the agreement when they divorce, don't you think? If you have a marital settlement agreement, it should include anticipated things like orthodontics, college and maybe even the wedding expenses for the daughter. I've even thought they should include an agreement to cover funeral expenses if a child dies. I've seen cases where the parents are in court to make the other parent pay half of the final expenses. It's truly sad and a waste of court time. Parent's should accept responsibility but they don't always and it's a good idea to get it all down in the MSA.

All I said, is that if it is not in the agreement, then it's assumed they didn't 'plan' it while they were married. It doesn't necessarily mean that they shouldn't have to pay for it, but if it's THAT important, it should be written down in the order. Things like taking in grandchildren, well that is not anticipated but does happen. That is something that should probably be assessed at the time it's necessary, like who is in the best position to do that at the time? That is something you can't foresee when you are writing your MSA, at least I don't think so. In some cases, I guess you can tell from past history, which one is likely to be in the better position for something like that in the future.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus