SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greggwithtwogs

Control one ceiling fan from two locations?

greggwithtwogs
17 years ago

We are replacing a ceiling fan that is at the top of a stairwell. There are currently switches at the top and bottom of the staircase. The top one is just a dimmer that controls the light/fan simultaneously (and causes a hum and is probably dangerous). The bottom switch is a simple on/off wall switch that turns on the fan/light together.

We want to replace this set-up with a fan that can be operated from a control at the top and another at the bottom of the staircase. Further, we want to be able to control both the fan (on/off & speed) and light (on/off & dim) from each of the controls. Control of the light from both locations is especially important as this light will be the only illumination for the staircase.

Is this set-up possible? If so, are their only certain fan manufacturers that provide the products needed, or are most suitable for this application? If only certain ones are suitable (I've been told to look at Casablanca) then my wife and I can now focus on the fan style knowing that the electrical is feasible.

By the way - this will not be a DIY project - we are currently remodeling and this will be handled by the electrician. Thanks!

Comments (2)