SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
analytical1

hindsight- would you be a stepmom again?

analytical1
16 years ago

Hi All,

This is a fabulous forum (I just discovered it today) and I am glad that you all take the time to share your insights and experiences. I'm hoping you can help me with this.

I have been dating my boyfriend for about a year and 3 months, now. He has an adorable 3 (almost 4) year old son. This weekend we went to one of my boyfriend's family gatherings and I got another opportunity to observe first-hand the level of "favor" this child receives. In short, if some things aren't nipped in the bud, what folks now consider "cute" will make him a "little terror" later on.

Since my boyfriend and I got serious, I have thought about the whole SM and blended family issue. As time is progressing with us, I am trying to evaluate things even more seriously.

I am a 30 year-old, never been married, woman with no children. I am VERY close to my mother and father and, even though they are divorced, I have always envisioned having a family and having MY HUSBAND'S children. For this reason, I tried to be responsible, so that I could do things in the order in which I think they should be done: marriage first, children second (not to offend anyone; that's just what I want for my life). I always planned that my husband and I would be the foundation on which the rest of our family (i.e., the kids) would be built. I say all that to say, not having my husband's first child was never part of the vision. If I marry my boyfriend, it's, obviously, gonna be ixne on the original vision.

My boyfriend is a great father, but hasn't proven himself to be a great provider yet (read: if things continue as-is, I will earn several times more than he). Additionally, I'm not impressed with his baby's mama (who lives at home with her mama and her other grown siblings and has her son at her aunt's house all the time), nor do I think it's cool that my boyfriend's family allows the little one to do whatever he wants to do and treats him differently (read: with less discipline) than the other children in the family. I realize that the way I would raise my children with my boyfriend is different from how it appears that his oldest is being raised. So, I haven't ignored the fact that I (if I married him under status quo circumstances)might not only have to deal with some BM and his family drama, but also the feelings I've read of other women on this forum with regard to being a primary breadwinner, supporting the family.

MY QUESTION TO YOU IS THIS: IF YOU HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO GO BACK AND DO IT ALL OVER, WOULD YOU BECOME A SM AGAIN? WHY OR WHY NOT?

Comments (97)