hindsight- would you be a stepmom again?
19 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (97)
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
Related Discussions
Beware of Blanco silgranit sinks & other hindsights
Comments (80)Just an fyi, we have two black silgranite sinks by Blanco that were installed in 2012. Granted, they are BLACK, so staining has not been an issue, we do not wipe them down after every use, and I am very happy with them. I would buy them again. But having read this thread and Ashley's comments, I would not buy a lighter colored version. These sinks are pretty inexpensive compared to the cost of the kitchen as well as some other sinks. At this point in your journey @Kendal Jean, why not just replace it and move on to enjoy your new kitchen? Once you remove the sink you won't have the daily reminder of your horrible experience dealing with Blanco....See MoreNew and needing advice from other stepmoms
Comments (4)I'm so sorry for all of your recent losses. Truly, the timing for your SC's arrival was horrible, and I wish their father would have put his foot down and simply said "No - This is not the right time." But that's old news... Sadly, it's not unusual for Bio parents to undermine their 'replacement' steps... And that's unlikely to change unless somehow, the BioMom can be made to realize that having two good mothers is SOOOOO much better for her children than having one "good" one (her, of course!) and one that they dislike and disrespect. But that can be a difficult understanding to reach, and it would be virtually impossible for you to help her reach it. Any chance your husband could help? Or your MIL? The book 'Divorce Poison' is a wonderful resource you should definitely look into. It's all about handling Ex's who undermine you in destructive and damaging ways. About how to 'take the high road' without 'lying down' and silently taking the abuse. For example, you know BioMom's mad about failed marriage #2, so in a way, her blaming you for failed marriage #1 makes sense. It's not fair or accurate, but I'm sure you can understand her feelings. Well guess what -- so can the SC. All you have to do is explain it to them kindly, truthfully and respectfully. Everyone says hurtful things they don't mean sometimes -- it's not unforgivable. Let them know that their mother is hurting, and that's why some of the things she's saying aren't true. That everyone makes mistakes and that our goal is to forgive them. (Bring God into it if that's relevent for you and for them.) I can understand your pain at how SD trashed all of the lovely things you bought her. But try not to let that hurt you. Instead, simply let her live with the trashed stuff, and know that she is the one sleeping under that stiff comforter and having to wear those bleached-out clothes to school. If she asks for more stuff, the most natural answer in the world is that you won't be buying any more nice stuff until she has demonstrated she is responsible enough to take care of it. You're probably right that they will be back. And your sense that its not right for the kids to ping-pong back and forth according to whoever offers the best deal of the moment is right on target. But when they do indicate that they want to come back, I'd insist on some ground rules. Chores for everyone, respectful treatment, allowances, responsabilities -- you know what to do. Let them see the expectations and buy into them before they move back. FWIW, you sound like a wonderful person and a really good parent, and I'm betting this is something you can and will work through. 15 years from now, those SCs will be so glad you're in their lives. May it happen much sooner --...See MoreNew step-mom here...
Comments (11)It's so funny how I KNOW everything you're saying but how different it sounds coming from someone else and not myself. And you are 100% correct that she tricked him into it. BOTH times. 1st was for marriage, the second was the first talk of divorce. I know how important it is for him to plan our "trying." I've been on pre-natals since November but we've pushed it back from this past Feb. to this coming Sept. I am willing to compromise to whatever his needs (reasonably) so that he is 100% ready for it to happen if/when it does. And he's voiced how excited he is to try for a girl - he's an amazing dad and I know she'd be a total "daddy's girl" which worries him that I want my own baby so bad and she'd be more about him than me *LOL* :) I know part of my issues are jealousy and part are this insecure part of me that doesn't like to be new at something. I'm the youngest and vividly recall feeling stupid for not knowing information or how to do something that the older kids could. I hear people talk about the life changing "wow we have a baby; what now?" affect. My friend was talking about how she and her husband were married 5 years before having their oldest. She said they wanted it, tried for it, but still came home from the hospital, put him in his bouncy chair and just looked at each other like, "now what?" It really bothers me that he will never have that "let's figure this out together" thing with me. He already knows what to do with a baby. It's even more upsetting as a woman that my husband could answer my pg/baby questions. It's actually nauseating to me. The other part is that I can't even confide in the one woman I never felt stupid "not knowing" around - my mom - because she passed away 6 years ago this June. I'm close with my MIL, she's a lovely lady, I just miss what I had with my mom. I think that's why I want a girl so badly. My sister and I are very different people but she understands me and also had her 1st after the death of our mom. I know she will be there for me (and she's had two girls and is a SM of a 15-year-old boy.) It's nice to have supports (you all included!) Jessegirl, I actually had such a difficulty adjusting to my whole situation (5000 mi. away from anyone I know, stay-at-home mom from previous working woman, dealing with the emotions of "step-mom" "second wife") and wondered if I really want to "start over" since they will both be in school next year. But then that thought angers me; That I'm burnt out on being a mom and I've never felt a baby kick. I already gave up on the possibility of multiple kids of my own but really feel that I NEED a baby of my own. I think I deserve that. Fortunately, so does my DH. And it will be amazing to create life from love instead of manipulation. I just wish I could OWN what you all have said. I know I'm the mom here and I know I'm the one the boys will think back to and I know I've been put here for a reason and that those boys need me. And I need them...it's just so strange the way the head and heart have this strange disconnect feature between them, y'know? MIL is a twin and sometimes I hope to have twins myself because I KNOW that will be different for him! How juvenile is that?!?!?! Well...Thanks for listening guys... The in-laws arrived safely and I must return downstairs. The puter' is in our room, which is theirs for the next two weeks so my apologies in advance for not being around much! J...See MoreI am a stepmom who would like to be Mom and not just a caretaker
Comments (14)You need to step back and look at the whole situation. Your H would like nothing more than for his child to have a good, caring mother like you, but the situation is quite sensitive and has so much ramifications from a wrong move. your H probably is quite sensitive when dealing w his xw and does not want to stir the pot up too much. Your presence at the Teacher Parent conference would infer that this is YOUR child, and implies that the other mom does not exist. My daughter while in highschool, did not want my wife, her SM, to come to watch her soccer game. I knew it hurt my wife's feeling but we had to respect that. Bonding and relationship take times and history together to develop. Now as she is in college and mature some more, my daughter's attitude toward the SM has improved quite a bit. Had my wife forcefully pushed her way into my children's life (though their BM had died), our family relationship would explode to the point of no return. Guess what, I love my wife but I will not tear my own children's life apart for her own ego to be that "perfect step mom". several years prior to my 2nd marriage, I had dated this beautiful woman who thought my children would love her INSTANTLY because she was simply a nice person and when they did not, she got angry and called them b*tches. That woman then asked me to leave ALL my assets, including those of my 1st wife to her, again because she thought she was a nice person. I left that "nice" woman shortly after that. You seem to have a very generous and good heart, please keep that up. Don't let these little things and bumps in your blended family affect who you really are. Love asks nothing in return. Anger and revenge do not dissolve hatred and discord, but love can. Use your love to dissolve hatred and anger out there. You love your ss just like you love any other god's creatures. Just be patient, take a little step along the way. Lower your expectations, then everything you get is BONUS. Hopefully, one day you will have children of your own and then you can experience FULLY as a BIO MOM....See More- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
Related Stories

MORE ROOMS12 Ways to Get More Out of Your Closet This Year
First clear it out, then fill it up again using some of these organizing tricks for your walk-in closet
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESCan You Handle That Fixer-Upper?
Learn from homeowners who bought into major renovation projects to see if one is right for you
Full Story
INDUSTRIAL STYLEKitchen of the Week: Style Trumps Ease in a San Francisco Loft
What’s a little ladder climbing when you’ve got a gorgeous-looking kitchen design like this?
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESThe '70s Are Back. Can Ya Dig It?
No need to cringe. These 21 groovy blasts from the past are updated to look fabulous today
Full Story
ARCHITECTUREGet a Perfectly Built Home the First Time Around
Yes, you can have a new build you’ll love right off the bat. Consider learning about yourself a bonus
Full Story
The Unofficial Houzz Academy Awards for Movie Homes
Grab a front-row seat as we hand out honors to superb homes featured in 10 flicks. The envelope, please ...
Full Story
LIFE7 Things to Do Before You Move Into a New House
Get life in a new house off to a great start with fresh paint and switch plates, new locks, a deep cleaning — and something on those windows
Full Story
MOST POPULAR4 Obstacles to Decluttering — and How to Beat Them
Letting go can be hard, but it puts you more in control of your home's stuff and style. See if any of these notions are holding you back
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESHow People Upgrade Their Main Bathrooms, and How Much They Spend
The latest Houzz Bathroom Trends Study reveals the most common budgets, features and trends in master baths. Now about that tub …
Full Story
MOVINGRelocating Help: 8 Tips for a Happier Long-Distance Move
Trash bags, houseplants and a good cry all have their role when it comes to this major life change
Full StorySponsored
sylviatexas1