SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paco6945

Window Confusion

paco6945
17 years ago

We're close to pouring the foundation and I think that means ordering windows can't be too far off. Our builder is recommending Weathershield and they appear to be good windows. But I'm confused with all the terminology (as usual).

We're building in central Texas, so cooling is the primary consideration. The orientation of the house is to the north with only late afternoon summer sun possibly shining on the north windows. Due to the slope of the site, there are no south or west windows.

Simply considering maintenance and energy efficiency (without too much regard for initial price), what are the best choices to make?

Aluminum, vinyl, wood, fiberglass?

Is triple glazing worth the difference in cost if most of our windows are north facing and cooling is the major concern?

Our view is through these north windows. Is there really a noticeable difference between a VT of .5 and one of .8?

I've been on the Efficient Windows Collaborative website (http://www.efficientwindows.org/index.cfm), but I'm still confused. Are they legit or are they just a manufacturers consortium?

Am I making too much of this? If a window is certified Energy Star, isn't that all that matters? I know a lot of this has been discussed before, but not necessarily on this new (relatively) forum.

Comments (2)