SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fiveinall_gw

I am in the dog house w/MIL did I over step?

fiveinall
15 years ago

Something has been bothering me over the past 6 mos or so with my MIL. She has spent a lot of time on our oldest (10) with affection, gifts and trips and doesn't seem to really notice our middle child (almost 5)

Here are some examples:

This summer she has:

Taken oldest on a nice trip to Tenesse

kept oldest for a week visit to her home

taken oldest to the mall for new shoes, CD's, a new DS and other misc items..

Booked a 10 day cruise for her and oldest for October

as far is our middle daughter goes she has done absolutely nothing with grandma this summer....

MIL was over on Sunday and asked if she could take oldest (10) back with her for a visit for the rest of the week...

So I said sure but it would be great if you could plan a visit or activity to do with (middle) as well this summer....she feels a bit left out that she hasn't had a chance to spend anytime with you....

well apparently I offended her..she got real quiet and refused to take oldest with her...said it would just get the (middle upset that she couldn't go) and she left...

So we hear from FIL the next day that MIL is upset and feels like we are holding the oldest back from doing things because it "isn't fair to the middle one" WTH?

I can't think of ANYTHING that they have asked us for oldest to go do that we have said no to..we said yes to all the trips and yes to the cruise......

I really thought she didn't realize that she ws leaving (middle) out and I thought a gentle "let's get you two some time together" would do the trick..apparently i was wrong...

I totally agree that (middle) is not old enough to do a cruise or a trip to TN...However....I do think she is old eneough to do other things w/ grandma even for just the day....I hate to say it but I really feel that (oldest) is her favorite...It didn't bother me so much when middle was little..she didn't know any difference but she does now and you can tell it hurts her.....

for a little history:

both kids are grandmas BIO grandkids,

when Oldest was Middle's age she spent lots of time with her taking her places and doting on her..so I don't think it is that middle is too young......

so..what would be the most productive way to handle this?

MIL doesn't seem to be speaking to me.....

Comments (18)