SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovehadley

Chance of a GAL reversing a decision?

lovehadley
15 years ago

Our settlement date isn't until later in August--so as of now, everything the GAL has said has just been his word. (Aside from the temporary cust. agreement which is signed by the judge.)

I'm wondering what the chances are of the GAL changing his mind from what he has previously said.

We have had two positive developments.

#1. When fiance and BM met with the GAL together to resolve school district issue, my fiance pushed for his son to be enrolled in kindergarten again. His reason was mainly that STBSS really struggled through kinder last year, and had a lot of behavioral issues. New school, fresh start sounded great. Plus, he is on the younger end of his class, and he's a boy, and in this state, it's not uncommon for boys to be held back. BM was really against this and insisted he start 1st grade. BUT the GAL agreed with my fiance and said that he needed to repeat kinder.

Monday, BM called the GAL and said the school refused to enroll him in kinder--that he was too old, and that they tested him and he passed the test for 1st grade. Well, no one is arguing intelligence--he is VERY intelligent. His issues are more behavioral and related to maturity, as well. Not that he won't catch up in time--but why set him up for failure? He struggled through kinder and my fiance would really like to see him be confident and ahead this year.

So BM told the GAL that she had no choice but to enroll him for 1st grade. The GAL said fine.

My fiance called the school today and found out that, on the contrary, BM was given the CHOICE between kindergarten and 1st grade.

So she has already blatantly lied to the GAL. We'll have to see if the GAL is perturbed by that and follows up with the school.

#2. One of BM's selling points with the GAL was that she is a SAHM and therefore *always available* and my fiance won't have to pay for after-care (not that he ever HAS)because she can always get her son at school if need be. The GAL told her that means she needs to be available and if my fiance has a conflict and can't get to school on time, she needs to pick him up and bring him to her house until my fiance can get there.

My fiance called her last night and said that next week, Wed, Thurs and Fri he needs her to pick their son up. Fiance will pick him up on Mon and Tues but those other 3 days he can't. I can't because my DD is doing a dance camp next week and needs to be picked up at 4 pm every day.

BM--she just doesn't think--called my fiance and left him a voicemail saying that no, she can't do two of those days because she has "stuff planned." She will only be able to do Fri.

SO--our attorney said to get that voicemail to the GAL pronto.

We'll see...

Comments (16)