SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dgmarie

It is raining in my house and I am upset

dgmarie
18 years ago

I am at my wits end. Our large palladian window (9 feet wide, up 15 feet in our family room wall) had a cracked seal (was fogged inside the glass). It was under warranty and the warranty repair installer brought out new glass. The glass was installed last week. The installer removed the inside wood trim holding the glass in, caulked the aluminum track with silicone all the way around, replaced the old glass with new glass, and caulked around the outside of the window with silicone all around the half circle.

Today we had a heavy rain storm for 24 hours. No rain leaked from directly under the sill of this window, but it seeped into the wall (which is a bank of windows and french doors), coming out of the top of the french doors beneath this palladian, under the doors, soaking the carpet, and actually dripping into an unfinished (thankfully) part of the basement also directly under this window.

My husband went out and covered the window in plastic. The water in the basement is dryed now, we pulled the insulation away from the basement wall, the carpet is drying, I don't see any visible damage, but I am terrified of more rain predicted this week. My installer said he will come out and recaulk the exterior because he said it it possible that the silicone pulled away and only a small opening in the caulk can cause the rain to come in. The window did not leak before the new glass was installed.

Does this sound like the right solution? Because I literally am sick about this.

Comments (4)