SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doorguy06

Running Power to storage shed.

doorguy06
16 years ago

I built a 14x14ft storage shed with a loft and small work bench in my back yard and want to run power out to it. My plan is to have two lights and two electrical outlets in it.

My house is about 50 ft from the shed with my main circuit panel in the basement. I am planning on drilling a whole through the 2x6 above my foundation and running the wire from the panel directly outside. Once outside I have a two foot drop to the ground.

My questions are, how far do I have to bury the wire and do I have to run the wire through two feet of conduit (or however you spell that) into the ground?

My other idea was to install another electrical outlet on the back of my house and wire an extension cord with two male ends. Wire my shed with a female end on the wire and use an extension cord to power it up when I need to.

I would prefer to just flip a switch, however a couple of electricians I have talked to recommended I use the extension cord method.

I plan to run it on its own breaker so that I can flip it off at night in case the shed got broke into, the crooks atleast would not have light.

Any feed back or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (27)