SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paloma74

Do I take the high road? It's getting harder...

paloma74
16 years ago

Hello Everyone!

I am not a step-parent yet, so I hope it's ok to post here. My situation is somewhat similar to people who posted here.

I feel frustrated about my inability to take the high road lately.

My partner and I talk about getting married someday and are moving in together in a two months. We have been together for over a year and a half and we have been easing into things gradually as far as his daughter is concerned.

He has a daughter (5yrs) from his previous marriage who is with him most of the week, but not Friday and Saturday.

I spend time with her on Holidays and sometimes after work during the week. I sometimes make the effort to go over to the house to see her and my partner. I do like her as a person, and all the cute things she says and does.

My partner assures me that I just need to be myself, that I am great and the child likes me, but I feel otherwise a lot.

He says that she is usually excited to see me and also she can be very loving and affectionate. Hugs, kisses and such.

The child and I tend to get along when we do activities together such as drawing and playing. Often she is unusually affectionate out of the blue, but then turns angry and pouty very suddenly and repeatedly tells me that I am not her mother. I tell her that of course I am not her mother etc...then when we play with puppets she is having a great time, then all of the sudden she will turn aggressive and tries to beat up the puppet I have in my hand and say "I hate you, go away!" I have examined my behavior, but I think it's my mere presence that she feels angry about. I think she does enjoy playing with me, but in the same time frustrated, angry and perhaps gulity for liking me just a bit. It's a head trip!

She has a very difficult mother who suffers from deep depression and is emotionally engulfing yet negligent. The mother tells the child not to bring any toys over that I give her. I tell the child "it's fine, we will play with it here, no problem" I wonder if some of those things she says originate from her mother.

I feel the child's pain and see how she is also in a difficult situation. So is my partner because he feels the pressure from every side.

Partially she enjoys being around me, but I am not sure how to handle these sudden "lightnings out of the blue sky".

I have read a lot of the posts on this page and I think I have somewhat of a realistic picture of what many blended families go through and have no rosy fantasies.

I have my friend and good job, so I am not clingy and expect a step-family to completely fulfill me, but I am also NOT planning to be the whipping girl for this family.

I am just so afraid to get hurt...I feel that I will always be the outsider and the intruder. My partner already has what he wanted, a real family. He already belongs.

I feel by trying to blend into this family, I relinquish my own need to have a family where I have equal input and weight and feel like I am on the "in". I have a few more years on child-bearing, so I feel that that makes me consider it harder. I love my partner, but I feel that I will be always a straggler. I go home at night and I cry.

Is there hope without losing my dignity?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012