SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

I know this isn't the Kitchens forum, but...

Sueb20
14 years ago

We have a house near the beach (in RI) where we spend most spring/summer weekends, and the kids and I usually spend 5-6 weeks every summer, with DH joining us on weekends and the last 2 weeks. We also come here on a few winter weekends, sometimes Christmas, etc. Eventually, DH and I will retire here. So that's the background! This fall/winter, we are expanding the tiny, claustrophobic 2nd floor so that in the end, we will have 4 bedrooms and 2 new bathrooms. Also a screen porch on the first floor, which is, to me, the best part! The kitchen is spacious, and after this reno, it will seem even bigger because it will open onto the screen porch. Originally, as part of this reno project, we were going to remove one wall of kitchen cabinets that we don't need, and then replace the counters and hideous vinyl floor, but keep the appliances and cabinets -- just paint the cabinets white. After talking with our builder, it doesn't seem worthwhile to paint the cabinets, which are mediocre quality and about 20 years old. So, now we will be getting new cabinets, appliances, counters, and floor! I already know I want white cabinets. Floors will be hardwood or something similar (considering cork or bamboo also). It's the counters that have me stressing out. I told DH I really, really wanted carrara marble, and he gave the OK. But the more I read, the more nervous I am about the maintenance and worry about etching, stains, etc. We have lots of visitors, and I don't want to constantly be nagging at people not to set down a glass or wine, or accidentally spill a bit of salad dressing. But I like the look and feel of the white/gray marble. I want to stay neutral, so in exploring other options I'd be looking at whites, grays, or possibly blacks. So the question is, what would YOU do? I want something interesting and nice looking, but very low maintenance. I am not too excited about granite, because I have granite at home, "everyone" has granite it seems, and I'd like to branch out! I have only been thinking about this for a day, so I haven't actually gone out to look at the options or to think all that clearly about them!

And I may still get my marble -- in the master bath!

Comments (18)