SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anthonyg_ma

Repair or replace windows?

anthonyg_ma
15 years ago

I have a Gambrel Cape built in 1994. The exterior wood sills on the 2 dormers are starting to show signs of water damage - the sills are separating from the window and getting "spongy" in the corners. I was wondering if it would make sense (if it's even practical) to replace the sills/exterior trim, or should I just replace the entire window unit? The windows are double-hung, tilt sash, dual pane. They are not exactly 'top quality' - Rivco brand (no longer in business), showing signs of seal failure with condensation between the panes - and I would not be too disappointed if I had to replace them. I would probably replace all (7) upstairs windows if that were the case.

My concern is with the cost. There is a big push right now to replace windows due to the 30%/$1500 tax credit incentive. I'm seeing offers popping-up everywhere, even getting emails from contractors I've done business with in the past. I'm not opposed to contributing to our economy or helping out the 'little guy', but I do not want to spend a ton of $$ now just to get my 30% break next year :-) I am also anticipating materials (and possibly labor) cost to be a bit inflated now as well, due to the increase in demand brought on by this incentive. I am wondering if waiting a year would make sense, depending on the cost to repair. (have not received any quotes yet)

Thank you in advance for any information or advice you can share!

Comment (1)