SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaymielo_gw

How to evaluate windows for new construction?

jaymielo
17 years ago

Please help a newbie. We are in the process of deciding on windows to be used in construction of a new home. We are located in Nebraska, so we will spend half the time heating and half the time cooling the home. We want a good quality window with high efficiency that will last well. We will be using casement or awning windows with picture windows and/or transoms above. The home has a lot of windows in large configurations on the back where it might be rather windy at times.

We are looking primarily at Andersen 400 Series or Jeld-Wen Premium Wood Tradition Plus windows although Pella and WeatherShield have also been recommended by different builders.

My questions is, what should I be looking for? What questions should I be asking the window representatives? What specifications are important to look at and compare? Does anyone have any input of the quality of the Jeld-Wen and Andersen windows mentioned above.

Thanks in advance for all your help. I realize there are a lot of varying opinions on windows. I just need to know how to go about making an informed decision.

Comments (9)