SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Which Rug Coordinates Best?

User
15 years ago

Which of these rugs if any work here best? I'm trying to go slightly victorian/frilly for this foyer area. Don't really want to go with a solid.

(walls will be painted sometime soon. not sure of the color. nothing screaming loud. artwork is yet to come)

Thanks

the area

mirror still isn't on the wall but will be soon.

{{!gwi}}

from front door. ignore the lamp.

{{!gwi}}

close up of corner chair

{{!gwi}}

this was my favorite. looks better when you zoom in. it's wool

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

phewww didn't realize I liked so many!

Comments (49)

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

I really like the first one too. It has just the right touch of black.

• msrose
    15 years ago

Boy that's tough! I'm also drawn to the 1st one because it's the most victorian, but I'm just not sure about the color. I don't like #3, #4, #5, or #7. I think the rest would look good.

Laurie

• Related Discussions

What coordinates best with Kilim Beige?

Q

Comments (8)
    I have used colors on both the Kilim Beige, Ivoire, and Sea Salt strips. IMO, Kilim Beige and Ivoire would not flow. Neither would Kilim Beige and Sea Salt. Sea Salt looks better with creamy colors (actually Sea Salt and Ivoire would look nice together). I have Comfort Gray (one shade darker than Sea Salt) in a bedroom with a creamy yellow (not bright) bedspread and valance and I think the combo looks clean and crisp. You might try Kilim Beige with a sage green like Liveable Green, SW 6176. Svelte Sage may be a bit too dark and too gray. A lot depends on your lighting, so it's always a good idea to get the sample bottles of Color-To-Go and try them on poster board.
    ...See More

Which rug do you like best?

Q

Comments (61)
    Love the new rug, and for heaven's sake, just hang the TV and enjoy watching it! It is a nod to the notion that real people live in this room, which I find healthy and refreshing. I love how you have made this space your own with smart decor choices and a welcoming, relaxed vibe. And yes, your new rug IS to die for!!!!
    ...See More

Please help with a coordinating rug

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi again. Really nice rooms. I'm sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday; chaos reigns. So quickly before today runs away with me (I'm in S Africa and it's morning here), I think a light grey rug with a fluid pattern would work beautifully. The contrast with the geometrical b/w will make the living area seem all the cosier, and pick up on the more traditional style of the fireplace. This one is good, I think. https://www.allmodern.com/rugs/pdp/mana-grey-area-rug-wlfr4971.html I had thought before I saw the pics that colour would be good, but I love the way your red chest zings against the neutrals, and wouldn't like to detract from that.
    ...See More

Which rug is best for my entry way?

Q

Comments (23)
    I havent asked for advice on whether or not my kitchen cabinets match my flooring. I didnt select them this is the house we moved into and as a “pro”, you must know everyone has a budget they work with and priorities and I’ve only asked which rugs of the ones I selected are good choices not for you to change the look, color and style that I’m going for.
    ...See More
  • CaroleOH
    15 years ago

I like 1 or 2 because I think they'll look the best with your carpet. I like 1 with your new side chair. It matches very nice.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here you can zoom in on rug 1. I'm a little nervous about the light color background. I guess people will be walking on a sidewalk and a mat outside the door before the enter. .

Yeah 3,4, & 5 something about them appeal to me but I didn't think they'd work best here. Just wanted some feedback.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zoomin' in on rug #1

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

caroleoh - we must have posted at the same time!

I've been having a hard time trying to find rugs that will coordinate with that chair. Don't want something too pink but it probably should have that same rosey/pink tone in it somewhere. Most rugs that appealed to me had red in them.

• tommygrixv
    15 years ago

I like the 1, 2 & 8.

(Sorry if I'm referring to another person/post) Is that the buffet you posted about earlier? Either way, I love it!

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

# 1 is my favorite!! I think it will be great with the chest mirror and chair!

• patricianat
    15 years ago

#2 and #8. I think #1 is a pretty rug but your chair needs to stand out. It will unless the rug competes with it.

• alex9179
    15 years ago

I like #1, #2, #6, and #9.

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

What do you think about this one? It has a bit of black in the design, but the background doesn't seem to be quite as light as your original favorite.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

tommygrixv - You're correct! I've posted plenty before with this buffet. Posts such as "should I take my Grandmas buffet" and "Does the buffet look alright in the foyer?" etc. Thanks!

auntjen - believe it or not I have a rug very similar I saved. I wasn't sure about one with a lot of gold/yellow because of my chandy being pewter. I tend to lean towards gold thought. I just don't want it to look like the chandy is the one thing that really doesn't belong.

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

If I'm seeing things properly on my monitor, it looks to me like the goldish rug also has some touches of gray, which would blend with your chandy!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jen - ahh I see the gray now! (c:

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How dirty does your rugs get at the front door? Should I be staying away from the light colors? The rug at the size door that leads into my kitchen is darker burgundy and I'll admit I can't stand how everything shows on it. I'm contantly running the sweeper and picking up stones/fuzz.

• funkyart
    15 years ago

I think the gold and grays will work better with the carpeting too. The first rug that you all so like is has a lot of pink tones in addition to the ivory.. I am afraid that might make the taupe rug look like dirty dishwater.

You might do well by picking up a few inexpensive rugs at target, costco, boscovs, kohls, tjmaxx or marshalls to try out the colors. You can return them-- or who knows, maybe you'll find one that you like. I love greens but I could see a burgundy in that spot.

• postum
    15 years ago

I like #1 because it seems to go in the space, but I'd be afraid it would get dirty. I also am very drawn to #6 - has that girly look, I guess. I also like the one Jen suggested.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hmmm... would someone be willing to photoshop rug 1 in the foyer? I would only have it in front of the door but just to see the color?

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

For an entryway, I would not get a light-colored rug. But I guess it depends on where you live. Where I live, there are relatively long winters with snow, etc., so I put a darker rug in our "entry" (stretching the meaning of the word here--lol). It has an all-over pattern, so you really can't even tell when it gets dirty.

I've provided a link to the one we bought (but ours is 4x2.6):

Here is a link that might be useful: Entry Rug

• funkyart
    15 years ago

when you say only in front of the door-- do you mean doormat size? I'd think color (and pattern for that matter) and how they coordinate with your carpet and chair matter much less.. I am sorry, I assumed you wanted a rug in the middle of the foyer leading into the house.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

funky - yeah, I should have specified. I was talking a 2x3ish. To use a 3x5 and keep it centered only a little would go under the buffet. I thought it would look really odd. I had considered using a runner but when people come in the door only part of the floor (when you first walk in) would be covered. The whole point of the rug is help catch loose dirt/stones and to look pretty! :)

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump

Originally wanted to do a larger rug but was measuring again last night and don't think it would work.

The length of my foyer is 8' something. I'd need at least close to 7' for it to look proportioned and to be able to keep it back in front of the door. (Remember buffet is a little off center) Something that's usually 7' long is usually 5' wide and it would cover almost the entire width of my floor. That's not what an area rug is suppose to do...? Right?

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

I agree with OS about getting a darker rug and/or something with a fairly busy pattern for the entry spot. I have a couple under my sinks and it's amazing how well the darker/busier tones hide all the dirt. You may also want to consider one that is washable.

• zippity1
    15 years ago

i like 1 for the contrast
    2 looks a bit shabby chick, but i like the flowers-pattern

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I like #1 but it's not a practical choice. I also like the black one, #7. If you can't do a larger rug in there, multiples might look nice, esp if you're going for a vintage look. Entry, then runner? I should have toned it down.

{{!gwi}}

• susan209
    15 years ago

I really like the black one the best, stands out on the carpet and black is so Victorian in my opinion. Nice foyer.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you squirrel!!

I like number #1 too, but you're right it's not practical. *sigh* That ivory is looking really white. I'm visualizing myself scrubbing it frequently.

I do really like #7 now that I see it in the picture.

Susan- Thanks for the compliment!

Can someone please confirm to me that I should not get a big rug because it won't fit under the buffet correctly?

Layering with multiple rugs. Never gave that a though.

The actual dimensions of my foyer are 5'9" wide x 8' 5 1/2" long. Only thing with layering is a lot of the runners are long and I'd need to take into consideration the width of the small rug at the door.

#1 I could get in a runner but it's 2'6" x 6'
    Could also get the black on above in a runner but I like it better in front of the door. 1'11 x 6'

Found these by digging around

in black 1' 11" x 3' 7"
    {{!gwi}}

same rug in claret instead of black 1' 11" x 3' 7"
    {{!gwi}}

1' 11 x 3' 3"
    {{!gwi}}

#7 above dimensions are 1' 7" x 2' 7"

They also have it in RED. althought it looks crimson/plum like to me.
    {{!gwi}}

Any new favorites out of the new ones I listed? I honestly like them all.

• funkyart
    15 years ago

I would do a 3 x 5 or 4 x 6 with the rug partially under the buffet. I also wouldn't use a really pretty rug (expensive or not) to wipe feet on. I'd use a really good outdoor mat outside the door on your porch.. and maybe keep one of the high absorbant ones in the closet for really icky days. I think color and texture in the body of your foyer will really enhance the space.

but that's what *I* would do.. you should do what works best to your eye and lifestyle.

I like the last two rugs. The last one seems to be the most similar to your tastes and colors throughout the house (assuming that the colors are accurate). I would then add a large "old style" floral over the buffet--one with rich colors and broad strokes.. parrot tulips and peonies and delphineum and such in an urn. Something in your style that brings in some blues and pinks and whites into the space.

I am trying to think where in the area you will find this kind of artwork and at the moment "my mom's house" is all I can come up with. She only buys locally, though.. so they must be somewhere (though I am guessing antique shop or garage sale). OH.. I know they have some at the consignment gallery in Carlisle. They may be a tad pricey but she has some gorgeous pieces out there.

Here is a link that might be useful: consignment gallery in carlisle

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oooooo there's this one too! I'm done now. :)

1'11 x 3' x7" / runner 2'7" x 7' 6"
    {{!gwi}}

Funky - so you would center a larger rug so that it looked proportioned under the buffet. Meaning, it might not be smack up against the entrance? Am I following this right?

I'm having a hard time finding a floral arrangement that I like and would want to live with for a long time. Where around here can I find something nice/not plastic looking? I know there are some site online that have nice arrangements but a lot of the ones I like are "sold out". Not to mention they don't list prices and I just find that irritating. I've been looking at different vases etc. Really want to try and tie in silver/pewter with the accessories on the buffet. Can't find any lamps I like (that are reasonably priced). Blahh. Been looking at different artwork. Bought this print off ebay. I was going to use it over near the chair in the corner but I'll have to see when it gets here. Framing is another issues also. I lean toward gold with thing but again, trying to bring in the silver/pewter.

{{!gwi}}

Back on track, I still think I'm leaning on #7.

The other thing is the cost issue. I can't spend a couple hundred on a rug right now.

the 3' 2" x 5' 2" is $100.98

5' x 7' is $202.98. which sounds to me like it would be too big.

I also should probably mention that the mirror (waiting to be hung) is very black. Didn' think that would matter too much but thought I would throw it out there.

{{!gwi}}

Also is more copper than what I like. May end up toning it down once I paint.

Need to get to that consignment shop sometime!!!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I like this arrangement. I honestly like the whole foyer.

{{!gwi}}

I don't want to overkill with flower stuff either. Haha.. flower chair, flower rug, flower arrangment. If I had to give one up though, I'd go without the arrangement. Plain rugs just don't appeal to me.

• funkyart
    15 years ago

When I was speaking of the floral, I was meaning artwork. I know a lot tof people like kirklands (capital city mall and maybe colonial park?). Our styles are different but I don't really care for kirkland's artwork. I have bought some from kohls and tj maxx.. but they are definitely hit or miss. The consignment gallery definitely has a lot of the kinds of pieces you are drawn to-- and many of them are actual paintings (vs prints). Other places for prints include Michael's, and there's an art/framing store on the carlisle pike.

Also.. it's a bit of a hike but the Mt Gretna Arts Festival is this weekend. It is one of the nicer ones with "real" art vs lots of crafts. There's also great food and a picnic area and music.

The Long's Park Arts Festival is labor day weekend in Lancaster. I prefer this one-- and again, great food, music and a lovely setting around a big pond. I have bought a number of pieces at this festival over the years-- both original art (more expensive) and artist prints (much less expensive).

You may find something at Kipona (Harrisburg's labor day festival) but I find it is much more limited and more photography and arts & crafts than artwork. All three make for great days though.

Hope that you find at least one place that you like out of the list. :)

Long's Park Arts Festival:
    http://www.longspark.org/art.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Mt Gretna Arts Festival

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I like the black in there also. Makes for a cozy, separate area. Here they are laid on the floor. Not sure how the sizes actually fit in, and a runner probably wouldn't be wide enough in front of the chest. If you go under the chest but with a smallish rug, maybe one at the door also.

I wouldn't skimp on the size but would wait until you can get the right fit.

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Here's a lighter, colored one from the last list:

{{!gwi}}

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Whoooaa! Check it out, my foyer has some life to it! :)

Could you photoshop the one that's the 3rd one down from the second set of photos? the one above the crimson/red one?

I'll measure later with the dimensions of those two rugs and see what I come up with.

I'll admit I'm not much into shopping. Probably also has to do with the fact that I live out in the sticks and everything is far away. I like to order things online but then the returns are an issue.

Here's a picture I took months ago when I found a rug while out shopping. I can't remember what the dimensions are!
    {{!gwi}}

The end of the buffet sits on the edge of the first square in. (the entire thing is a little off center) So you can see in the picture that this particular size rug wouldn't fit under it completely.

If I were to use a bigger rug and smaller at the door. Should the one at the door be a solid color or same rug just smaller?

I guess I don't really know how the rug is suppose to fit?..

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

And a couple other styles, colors from the selections:

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I like this one! Has a nice balance of the dark and lighter gold.

I don't think the packaged rug fits well. Not laid out that way, anyway. For that size, you'd probably want to center it to the chest/foyer and use a small one by the door if you want.

The advantage to using a small one at the entry would be if it gets trashed to the elements it's easily replaceable. Some say their good rugs hold up very well, although they're very expensive to have cleaned.

I've seen so many rugs in so many ways. You need to fit your functional needs and if it looks good to you, then it works.

It would seem that a center foyer rug and small one at the door would work well in the space. A large dark rug, without a lot of light or ceiling height might feel cramped and overwhelming.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I'd mark out the floor around the chest and see where the center design falls.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I like the last one too.

Pretty much light comes though the glass in the door actually. Ceilngs are 8'. I'll tape off tonight.

Maybe one of those half rugs right infront of the door? What color ..solid, patterned?

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I guess you could do a half-round, if that's what you mean. Not very vintage, though. A dark pattern would hide more.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

I agree with Susan. My vote is for the smaller black rug by the door. You don't want to hide the entire entry floor either. What is it BTW, tile or lineloleum? We paid a LOT of money in our house for tile work--there is no way I'd cover it all up with a rug--no matter how pretty. I'd spend a good portion of my rug budget on a larger area rug for your LR and stick to a smaller entry rug that can be changed out over time as it becomes worn--esp. as you have mentioned in the past that the LR carpet color poses a challenge in selecting a wall color.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

One thing I was thinking, by the door, is not to go black, actually. Unless there's a lot of pattern. The really dark colors show the lighter color dirt pieces, so you always see stuff. Something mid-tone actually hides better, as will a pattern.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Took pictures last night and I if I were to buy a big rug to fit properly under the buffet I honestly don't think a rug right infront of the door will look right.

Didn't have any tape so I got creative. The entire length of the belts to the tape measure are the right lengths.
    I wouldn't be able to go too much wider on the width or it would cover the floor vent.
    {{!gwi}}

I threw another rug I had here for an idea of what this would look like. Even if it were a little smaller I still think it would look crammed.
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Val - It's vinyl. good quality, but still vinyl. I'm sure a rug in the LR would help to tie things together but there is no way I'm going to be able to convince DH I need one for in there since the carpet is only 5 months old. I honestly don't think I want to cover up the carpet yet either. Thought about maybe some type of ottoman or coffee table to help break the distance up. I still didn't actually BUY paint samples but that will be happening soon I swear. :)

Alright so now what does everything think cause I'm not sure. :P

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I like that size rug in there, centered as you've done. You could always bring it out a tad more from the chest, maybe 3 more inches, to offset the mat in front of the door.

With an outdoor mat for wiping, I'd do the larger rug and walk in on the tile. I know a rug dealer and that's what she's done, though the area rug is only about 10" from the door and from the edge of the foyer tile as well. If it's messy out, like FA said, you can have a weather mat in the closet, though that's a pain to have to juggle and remember those things (for me anyway : ) The easier, the more likely it will happen.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Do the colors in the last one you photoshopped (black) look rose colored to anyone else? There's no zoom on this rug and cince it would be taking up most of the floor I'm a little worried about the color.

In the link you can see it in the other colors as well. Think it looks more pink/rose in the green one.

It doesn't have to exactly match my chair right?

Here is a link that might be useful: Different colors

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gosh I like this one too.

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Pretty rug. Is that a dark border on it or just part of the backdrop? Maybe just part of the page, hm?

Try another website for the rug, to see a zoom. Here's a fuzzy enlargement.

{{!gwi}}

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I thought the dark boarder was part of the rug. Now I'm second guessing.

I'll look around. If the colors that are showing here appear correct it will look good?

I'm going shopping tomorrow night to look around for a lamp. I'll check out rugs also. Who knows maybe I'll find something.

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

What about a small one in front of the door, as you have in the pic, and then a matching runner in front of the chest?

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Organic - The black one I was considering has a runner but it's 2' 7" x 7' 10" it would be too long for both. That's another combination to consider.

*sigh*

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Saw these at Rugs-Direct and thought of your foyer selections. The first is by Dalyn and the second one is Kathy Ireland.