SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kwb1999_gw

Help! What color to stain white oak floors?

kwb1999
14 years ago

Hi everyone!

We are refinishing the floors in the fixer-upper we just bought. My problem is that the floors are white oak, and all the samples we've seen are in red oak. Our floor guy is going to do a few samples for us, but I was hoping to get some feedback first, so I could narrow it down to a few possibilities!

About our house: It's a small, 1940's bungalow. It is a bit dark, and the floors are currently a medium brown. Pretty much everyone who has seen them thinks we should go lighter; generally, I prefer darker floors, but I don't want to deal with the maintenance, and I do really want the house to feel brighter. I want to avoid that 80's orangey-oak look though! A few people have recommended just scraping them and not staining. This sounds like a good option, but some of the floors are a bit different (the living and dining rooms have varied 4-8" thick boards with grooves in between, while the hall and bedrooms are consistent 2" strips without grooves), and I want to make sure we keep a consistent color throughout. As for the walls/windows, our trim is white, and most of the rooms are neutrals (Kelly-Moore Wise Owl and Oyster).

Anyway, anyone have white oak floors out there that they love? Any tips about how certain stains look in white oak versus red? Any feedback on just scraping and not staining?

Thank you so much!!!

kate

Comments (5)