SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swampwiz_gw

Running some numbers on heat transfer with windows - low E, Argon

15 years ago

I've gone and run through some numbers on heat gain of windows to get an idea of how much savings would be for going with low-E windows. (This does not consider solar heat gain, only ambient heat transfer.)

constant: BTU = .00024 KW-hr

cost for power: $ 0.12 / KW-hr (obviously this should be carefully chosen, but I think this is a pretty good asymptote for the future 50 years (in real $ to account for general inflation) as I think this will be the upper limit for the net cost for renewable electricity (wind, solar) in case the cost of natural gas goes way up.

COP for cooling = 3.5

COP for heating = COP for cooling + 1 = 4.5 (i.e., heat via a heat pump)

Gulf Coast borderline between South and South Central zone:

(i.e., CDD & HDD):

Cooling = 4000 F day / yr

Heating = 500 °F day / yr

in hours: (* 24)

Cooling = 96000 °F hr / yr

Heating = 24000 °F hr / yr

power to run A/C (cooling) = Cooling(hr) / COP(cool) * (.00024 KW-hr / BTU) = 6.56 KW hr / yr / UA

power to run A/C (heating) = 1.28 KW hr / yr / UA

total power to run A/C = sum of cooling & heating = 7.83 KW hr / yr / UA (values given here are rounded, hence the discrepancy)

This value of 7.83 must be multiplied by the total UA, which has the units of °F hr / BTU, so using common units of U as (BTU/ft²·°F·hr), A would be in ft²

So presuming that a typical window would be 10 ft², and the value of U for Argon as .25 vs. no Argon as .30 on a low E window (e.g., Cardinal 270), the net savings would be

net savings = 7.83 KW hr / yr / UA(ft²) * 10 ft² * (.30 - .25) = 3.9 kW hr / yr = $0.47 / yr

With the going rate for Argon installation being $40 per window, it seems that there is only a savings on the order of 1.2% per year. This is less than the opportunity cost of cash by a large margin.

What about low E? (Presume a well shaded or north facing window in which solar gain is not an issue.) The net savings would be larger (presume U = .50 for regular double pane)

net savings = 7.83 KW hr / yr / UA(ft²) * 10 ft² * (.50 - .30) = 15.6 kW hr / yr = $1.88 / yr

Presuming the same $40 price differential, the savings is about 7.5% per year, which is barely break even, when everything is taken into account. If VT has any importance, then it would actually be counterproductive.

Of course, for windows that see the sun, there would be much higher costs - but for a well designed long eave for a south facing window, the solar gain in the winter (desired) could actually make up for any small gain in the summer (not desired.) Poorly shaded south windows and east or west windows should definitely be low E, if only for the solar gain reduction.

Of course, for harsher climates, the numbers could well be worth it as the CDD would be much higher. And who knows how high the cost of power will be in the future.

What do you think of this analysis?

Comments (2)