SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john_of_mpls

Low-E vs Storms on Gothic Window

John_of_MPLS
19 years ago

We have 1931 Tudor in Minneapolis that has a gorgeous gothic arched window approx 5 ft by 9 ft that over looks a park. It has 26 full-divided panes throughout that curve into the arch. We also have a storm that matches this window. They are a beautiful match and we love the way the two windows look. Unfortunately, but not suprisingly, the exterior storm is rotting away and we must replace it. We have spoken with a fellow how does replacement windows, done at a millwork, like this and he is willing to do it for us, a copy of what we have. We had a very cold spell last week and we noted how much cold was radiating off of the window and began to wonder if we would be better off going with a more modern window that provides more insulation. I called him this morning and asked what he thought. I suprised to hear him say that most low e windows have an R factor of 3 while a single pane window with a tight fitting storm (wood frame for both) has an R rating of 2. If this is the case, we are loosing a lot of beauty and maybe not gaining that much in insulation value. I'd be interested in anyone's 2 cents worth on this question. Thanks much!

Comments (2)

Sponsored