SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ava2351

windows for new construction

15 years ago

I finally joined in desperation. I've spent so much time reading through the forums (so far mostly windows and appliances) that I am completely confused as to how to procede.

We are building a small farm house in tidewater Va - moderate winters with hot and very humid summers. Our builder deals with milguard because he gets the best price from them, but he will order whatever we specify. The milguard windows carry a lifetime guarantee.

we have looked at Pella and Andersen through "big-box" stores which don't carry the lines we've seen recommended here.

Mt sister built her house in the NC mountains using Hurd and loves them.

I don't know the Loewen line, but it sounds like something we should look at.

No one locally carries Marvin, but we live close enough to 2 metropolitan areas (Richmond, but even close to Washington DC and Va/Md suburbs).

There is a Pella showroom here locally but there are no "hours" - everything is by appt. Also I've heard horror stories about their customer service.

From what we've seen - basically through Lowes, Home Depot, Milgard, and the local showroom for Jeld-Wen - we like Milgard as well as any of them. They were certainly the most helpful.

We definitely want a wood-clad window. We are using hardieplank outside, white, since we want no maintenance - we are not spring chickens! For the same reason, we have no reason/wish to paint the windows, certainly not the exterior. Of the wood-clad windows we've seen, we find fiberglass more attractive than aluminum. Our preference for fiberglass may have to do with the windows we've been able to see rather than anything else.

I REALLY appreciate specific advice you can give - esp from professional builders and architects since this is new construction rather than retrofit. I have to make decisions soon, and this is getting to be a nightmare!

Thank all of you again - this is a wonderful site!

PS we also need interior and exterior doors - need recommendations!

Comments (19)