SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessegirl_gw

SS resisting visits, advice?

jessegirl
16 years ago

My 13 y/o SS lives with his BM, and is scheduled to have visitation with us every other weekend. Lately, he's resisting since he'd rather hang out with his friends on Friday nights, so we end up seeing him only about 1x a month. My DH is taking this pretty hard. I can understand that, as I even feel sad when he doesn't come over. We've discussed it with a therapist, and done research, all of which say "don't force it, it will only cause resentments". Which I believe to be true. I have another SS who is 14 and lives full time with us, who is the total opposite. He loves to be with us, and puts family first almost always. Of course, no 2 children are alike!

What my SS has been doing is this:

He'll call on Thursday night or Friday afternoon and tell DH that he's not coming over, that he's going out with his friends. Then, he'll call (or mostly, have his mother call-he hates to have to deal with anything) later on and say that he'll come over on Saturday instead. He lives 1 hr East of us. We have to drive 30 minutes East to pick him up.

He plays sports, and also ends up having games on a lot of the weekends too, which also throws a wrench into things. We end up having to plan things around him quite often.

This weekend, we had made plans to go about 1.5 hrs North for a family event. DH spoke to him yesterday and he told DH that he didn't want to go. DH said this time, no choice, this is a family outing and you do this for your family, not me. It's about someone else, not you. He called DH this afternoon, and said that he wasn't coming tonight, he was going out with friends. Then, had his mother call back and leave a message that he'll meet us in the AM to go North. Logistically, it's a nightmare. We would have to drive 45 mins out of our way to get him and then go North from there. So, DH is very upset at this point. I tried to calm him down, but he's just very hurt, and disgusted that his son is being so selfish.

On one hand, if he doesn't want to come, then we can just let it go, but on the other, since other family members are involved and would be hurt if he didn't go this weekend, we're upset that he'd be so thoughtless.

This is a fairly delicate situation, and my SS is not a good communicator of his feelings. He stuffs things in and clams up. That's also of great concern to us. If we accomodate him and pick him up in the AM are we sending the wrong message that if you're a brat, you get your way? Or, should we just go without him, and hope that he realizes that the earth doesn't rotate around him? What is the right thing to do?

Comments (10)