SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imamommy

I'm a stepchild with a bitter mom

imamommy
15 years ago

I want to share my perspective, not as a mother nor as a stepmother, but as a child of a mother and stepmother.

When my dad remarried four years after their divorce, my mom automatically didn't like her. (my mom had cheated on my dad and was living with her 'other man') My stepmom was a social worker for 20+ years, dealing with CPS, APS and drug treatment centers. She was working on her Master's degree and once she graduated, she was licensed (marriage & family therapist) and opened her own private practice. She had also raised four children, including one stepson.

When I went to my dad to discuss problems I was having (in my early 20's) after I had my kids and was headed nowhere, but he didn't know what to tell me. My mom was too self absorbed in her own life & problems and I didn't feel comfortable going to her to talk, mainly because I didn't want to upset her. I knew her behavior (alcoholism, infidelity, etc.) had contributed to me raising myself and making some of the choices I made that put me where I was. So, when I called my dad and he didn't know what to say, he gave the phone to my stepmom. I had no relationship with her. I didn't even go there every other weekend or ever live with her. I didn't particularly like her either, because my mom was always saying terrible things about her. The truth was, I didn't really know her because I hadn't given her a chance because I knew it would upset my mom. I didn't really know if any of those things were true. I think that loyalty that I felt the need to give my mom, is the same loyalty a lot of children feel the need to give their bio parent, even if the bio parent doesn't say anything. I could read my mom's body language if my stepmom's name was even mentioned. I heard the tone of her voice. I knew she didn't like her and I could tell it upset her when any of us 'kids' (we were all teens/grown) would choose to spend a holiday at dads or say anything positive about my stepmom.

Well, my stepmom and I started having regular conversations and she gave me so much advice that helped me in so many areas of my life. However, when my mom found out that she had given me any advice, my mom belittled her profession and called her a 'stupid mindf*cker' and was angry at me for listening to her advice, let alone following it. Like I said, her advice has helped me in my relationships (making better choices, getting along with others, etc.) and with my children and in the workplace. She wasn't trying to be my mom, but she had knowledge and advice that sometimes I feel 'saved me'. I know it saved me a lot of heartache. To this day, my mom doesn't have a kind thing to say about her and doesn't understand why I take care of her. Twenty years later, it's still an issue. She is still saying hurtful things to me about a stepmom I care about. It has affects my relationship with my mom still. It affects how I feel about her, because it's not really about my stepmom to me, it's about my mom's lack of consideration for MY feelings. She doesn't care about my feelings for someone because she is so bitter over her own feelings that she can't let go of it so I can feel okay about caring for my stepmom. I'm 39 years old and I'm still being pulled to 'choose'. I'm only being pulled from one side because my stepmom can't pull back. And when you really think about it, I made my choice and it's to be here for my stepmom and when my mom tries to get me to walk away from it, I think it's pathetic. She could let it go and try to have a good relationship with me in addition to allowing me to care for my stepmom without trying to make me feel guilty for it.

I'm not saying that every child out there will choose a stepmom over their bio mom, but it really makes no sense to me when a bio mom would even try to make them choose. If the child can love both and both can love the child, then why would you not support that for your child? It's not up to my mom to decide if she thinks my stepmom treated me well or was 'fair' to me. It has always been up to me to decide that. There were times that I didn't think she was fair. There were times I think she could have been nicer to me. but, then it's my decision to like or dislike her, not my mom's decision to make for me. (and it doesn't matter how old the child is, they know if they like someone or not. It may change day to day, but they do know how to decide for themselves... or we'd all have to go on the playground and choose our kids' friends for them, right?)

Comments (64)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH