SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deeinohio

2 or 4 chairs? And which style?

deeinohio
13 years ago

Hi:

I have a very small eating area in my kitchen. Until a couple of years ago, I only had 2 chairs since it's only DH and I. I added the Parsons chair for my 2 small grandchildren, but it does feel a little crowded. The black is not working at all with 2 long-haired dogs and 2 cats. The other chairs are 12 years old so I've decided to redo all the chairs. The kitchen has dark cherry cabinets so I either want white X-back or Napoleon chairs (which feel predictable to me) or rattan (which I really want). I'm leaning toward #2, which are pricey, and I wouldn't get them if I need 4. So, what do you think? Can I get away with only buying 2, or will the area look too undone? And which chairs would look best I'd appreciate ANY suggestions, except getting rid of the table.

Thanks so much for any help. Sorry for the photo size; I had trouble resizing it, then got it too small to see.

Dee

Kitchen:

Chair #1

Chair #2

Comments (24)

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Like chair #2 the best and you probably need four since your grandkids come over. You may want to look on your local craigslist or a local antique shop or second hand shop you may find something just perfect without selling the farm.

• dilly_dally
    13 years ago

Those are some beautiful chairs you picked out. But, they dont really go with the table. Too many "sticks" will make it look jumbled and the chairs look too big for the small table especially in such a small area.

I am assuming that your grandchildren only visit and do not live there full time. I would get two nice comfortable chairs for you and your DH and get some good quality, pretty folding chairs that can be stored and taken out when your DGC visit.

I would go with delicate chairs with solid backs to anchor the seating unit. I'll try to find some pics of what I am thinking of if I get the time.

• Related Discussions

windsor chairs comfortable? 6 armchairs or 2 armchairs and 4 sid

Q

Comments (5)
    pps - saw that one during my online search. Love it and the price is right. It's definitely on my list although I'm not sure about the lower seat height and arms. Our dining chairs are 19-21" high and arms might interfere with people getting in and out from the table. Shouldn't the table slightly overhang the seat and the couch be less wide than table? I don't know these things :-) An oval table might help with clearance issues. It's only meant for 2 people so I don't need to worry about someone in the middle getting in and out. I found this one that I like. The seat's higher but it's more $$$ and not very wide. Wisteria Settee Lake Girl - thank you for the input. I visited a furniture store today and sat on a Windsor and it was not comfortable at all, so I definitely want to try it out before buying. I think I'll try to buy the wood chairs and table on CL and save my $$ for a new upholstered settee if I go that way.
    ...See More

Can I Mix These 2 Chair Styles Around the Table

Q

Comments (13)
    I have 2 different end chairs with my dining room because I only had 4 matching chairs when I moved and ended up using the leaves in my dining table. The four chairs are collectibles that I refinished. I got the end chairs at Pier One. I can change out the pillows and make them look different, I currently have a purple rolled pillow and a lavender throw over the back of one of them. Table was set with an Easter theme. They are not perfect, but they are what I could afford at the time. I think they work as they are the same height and the dark wood blends in with the other furniture in the room. Having a similar or taller height on the end works well. A shorter one is difficult to fit in as it tends to pull the look of the end of the table down...hope that makes sense. Many folks use wing chairs on the ends, which is really nice, style and size is more important than fabric or color as you can blend those in...just my opinion. :-)
    ...See More

4 1/4 '' space btwn counters and sills- which size subway tile?

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks everyone! Linelle - stool trim is the wood trim that goes under the window sill, it usually looks the same as the side and top trim. we're probably doing soapstone and that would be nice for the windowsill, but it would be the only window (out of a total of 5) that would get it - the rest of the kitchen has no or different counters. Mixing different perimeter counters...whole 'nother thread!
    ...See More

2 1/4" hardwood flooring out of style?

Q

Comments (6)
    Good point -- I was just thinking that the smaller width would take a longer time to install. My husband installed the smaller width birdseye maple floor once in a cottage that we owned (living room, hallway, breakfast nook, and kitchen). It took FOR-E-VER! The plus side was that the wood only cost us $50 for all of it. It was salvaged from an old Masonic temple. (We haven't stumbled on a deal like that since!)
    ...See More
  • kiko_gw
    13 years ago

Sorry, I'm having a hard time making your table out. Beautiful chairs you picked though. I like the first one (but I've always loved those chairs!!). Here are some more solid rattan chairs (but with woven leather backs??):

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Gramercy Chairs

• natal
    13 years ago

I like both. My main criteria would be comfort. Agree that getting a couple folding chairs for when the grands visit might be the best option.

Here is a link that might be useful: folding bamboo chairs

• dilly_dally
    13 years ago

This has the elements that I was talking about but is most likely outside your comfort zone being too 'trendy'.

What you want to avoid is a chair with a spindle back that will look cluttery in front of those paned windows. Something more substantial is needed to counterbalance the thin legs of the table also, yet still look delicate at the same time.

This is solid, yet narrow and without a bulky skirt. This could work for your needs. Two of these comfortable chairs, and then folding chairs for when the little ones are there.

{{!gwi}}

When you say 'cherry kitchen cabinets' I am guessing Traditional style and not Modern, so these, although they could work with the table and windows, probably won't work for your taste. But then again maybe you do have a Modern kitchen and will say "Wow!" to these.

{{!gwi}}

Folding chairs don't have to look ugly either. Nor do they have to be cumbersome to store. Check out the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Folding Chairs

• deeinohio
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone so much for the input! Just what I needed. I'm taking that the consensus is to just go with 2 chairs. We also have a dining room and counter so my DGC can eat there, if necessary.

Newdawn: I've been looking on Craigslist but haven't seen anything I really like. These also will be THE last kitchen chairs I buy in my life so I want them to last.

Dilly: Ah, darn. You're right about the "sticks" effect, of course. I just didn't see it. Yes, my kitchen is traditional cherry so your suggestions are quite a bit out of my comfort level. The parsons chair idea is also more of that stuck animal hair problem I'm trying to mostly eliminate.

Kiko: I really love that chair! The price is good, too.

Natal: Thanks. And thanks for that link. That's a great idea.

So, should I stick with the rattan, just find something with a more substantial back, or start looking at painted wood?

Dee

• kiko_gw
    13 years ago

Did you see this from Gump's? It's even on sale for half price.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gump's Macao Settee

• dilly_dally
    13 years ago

I forgot about the animal hair issue and had already found these cute femminine skirted Parons chairs with wings that go great with a garden table in a kitchen nook of a Traditional style kitchen. Obviously a 'no go' since they are upholstered, but great eye candy.

The red Parson chair in my above post was in vinyl or woven microfiber. Easy to repel alsmost anything from pet hair to food dropped by kids. Parson style chairs like that are easy to find in leather, vinyl or microfiber.

• deeinohio
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Kiko. That would never fit in my area.

Dilly: My adjoining great room has a leather sofa, and 2 leather recliners, with a dark seagrass side chair. My counter has 2 black leather backless stools (I REALLY try to avoid animal hair), so I'm a bit on leather overload.

What do you think of this?

Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: Possible chair?

• dilly_dally
    13 years ago

I think you hit it!!

It is hard to give specific recommendations not knowing the styling of the entire home but from what you describe they will go perfectly with your exsisting home decor AND look great tied in with the dining room as a grouping.

You are right that if you have leather in the other rooms it would be a leathery overload. You already have one seagrass chair and those in the provided link would transition the rooms perfectly. They also tie in with your DR rug without being competative. They are graceful and the curves in them blend with the curved legs of the table. They are substantial enough to counterbalance the lightweight table yet still appear lightweight in feel. They have solid backs instead of see-through so they don't create a cacophony with the windowpanes. They will blend seamlessly with wooden folding chairs.

I don't know how furry and shedding your critters are, but do consider having to vacuum hair our of the wicker. It may not be a problem though. I have wicker and seagrass storage cubes, and never had a problem with my animals hair sticking in the wicker.

Great find.

• deeinohio
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much, Dilly, for all your input. I do like those chairs, but I really love chair #2. I wish I could make them work. I tend to buy things, anything, based on shape first, and for some reason, the shape of that last chair isn't singing to me. If I used a floor length tablecloth, would the grilles on the windows still fight the chairs? Here's a larger picture of the area. The table does look a bit more spindly in the picture than IRL.
    Dee

• kiko_gw
    13 years ago

Post a picture of the table with no chairs and a link to the chair you like. Maybe someone can photoshop it for you.

• natal
    13 years ago

Dee, I still like your original choices best, but would lean toward #2 ... if it's comfortable.

• dilly_dally
    13 years ago

If you really, really like The #2 chair then I would attack the problem from another angle. What about putting up some sheer linen cafe curtains on just the lower half of the windows? This would give a plain backdrop to the chairs and table. Use something very sheer so you don't block a lot of light. No valance. The curtains on the lower half would also eliminate the 'goldfish bowl' feeling that one gets when sitting in front of a window.

Another thing that could be done is rather than putting a full length tablecloth over the table like you suggest, is to put the tablecloth under the glass top and only over the base. Yeah, it sounds crazy at first, but hear me out............Use sheer linen. Put a round plywood disk on top of the base under the glass. The plywood disk is cut smaller diameter than the glass size. Put the sheer linen tablecloth over the smallish disk and tie it in at the middle of the base. Replace the glass on top. The lines of the base are softened and the chairs now shine as stars. The window panes are softened with sheers hung on the lower half, The whole room now looks cozy and relaxing. Sit down and have a pot of tea.

• deeinohio
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kiko: Thanks. Maybe someone can help me out.

Natal: Unfortunately, I haven't sat in that chair. I've looked locally (well, within 50 miles) and no one has it. It's a Palecek item so I'm hoping that means it's comfortable, though I may be off the mark.

Dilly: Is this similar to what you're talking about? I like the look, but worry again about the dog hair collecting on it. I think it could be easily removed for washing though. (So creative and what a great problem-solver your are!) I think the sheer curtains on the bottom portion is a great idea. We've never wanted to block the light, but it will block my Aussie's sad little demeanor standing on the bench outside the window, peering in whenever I leave the house.:)
    Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: Chair I love

• natal
    13 years ago

I love it too, but $600?

• dilly_dally
    13 years ago

Yes, that is the general idea. Tie it in about half way up the base to reduce the bulk. I know you only did a mock-up and realize that using a round piece is what works and using fabric that is more sheer is needed but the mock-up give you the feel for how it would look before you go out and by any fabric.

• deeinohio
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Natal: I know. I know. It's a lot. I worked a part time job this spring to garner the money for several things I wanted for the house so I wouldn't feel guilty taking the money from the household budget. I'm retired and my husband didn't want me to go back to work, but I was willing to exchange my time for my house "wants". I try to buy things I love so I don't want to replace them. But, admittedly, I'm still on the fence about spending so much money for 2 chairs. I'm hoping to get them for less from NC. If everyone here had said I needed 4, I would have had to look elsewhere.

Dilly: I'll try again after my husband goes somewhere. He thinks I'm a bit obsessive anyway.
    Dee

• elsa42
    13 years ago

Are you up for one more possible choice? I'm only posting these because I want them so you should get them. :)

Sort of like making my kids wear a sweater when I'm cold ...

Seriously, does anybody have these?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• natal
    13 years ago

Dee, I forgot about the deals to be had in NC. I saved over $800 on an entertainment armorie from High Point.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

I love both chairs #1 and #2. You sound like me - one reason I keep working (part-time) is to pay for some of the extras. Another reason is to help hubby retire early! LOL

If those are the chairs you really love, I would go for them. You're probably not going to be satisfied if you don't. Hopefully you can find them for a better price, but if not, at least you've set the money aside.

Can't wait to see what you end up with!

tina

• deeinohio
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry it took me so long to get back to thank you, Elsa. Those are great chairs and I appreciate you taking the time to post them for me. Tina, be careful what you wish for; my husband is now retired and he's here ALL the time. I love him to pieces, but I've always been a person who needs time alone, and that's harder to come by now. ME: "I'm going to Michael's, honey." HIM: "I'll go with you." Me: "I'm going to the basement, honey." HIM: I'll go with you." But, I'm happy most times to have him, and after 38 years of marriage, it's nice to have him as a buddy again.

I hope I haven't used up my welcome with this topic, but now I've added another possible chair to my list. I'm leaning towards this Padmas Plantation chair, but I'm concerned it might be too large for the area. I would only use 2. I'm also worried about the comfort since there's nowhere here to test it out. What are the thoughts about this chair, and does anyone have any input about the comfort. Les? I know you often recommend Padmas. Have you ever sat in this chair?

Thanks,
    Dee

• les917
    13 years ago

I have not sat in that chair, tho it is very similar in style on the back to a Padmas chair that I did sit in. They are nicely made and I thought comfy.

That said, I think that chair is just way too heavy in feel for your table as it is; for sure I would only do 2 if you end up with that as your choice.

Honestly, if animal hair is a big issue for you, draping fabric on the base doesnÂt really seem to get you away from that issue as you are trying to do.

I think the base of your table is a part of the issue - it looks like a bistro table, which makes almost any chair you put with it feel too heavy. I know you said changing tables was not an option. Is that for financial reasons, or because you love the table as is?

You might think about looking on your local Craigslist for a used table. You could check into replacing the base - perhaps a cement pedestal or birdbath from the local garden center.

If you are crafty, you might try taking off the top, turning the table over and wrapping the legs with a heavy natural-colored rope/twine from the home center. It will take some time but little money, and would give the base more visual weight and a new feel. I did that to a couple of ginger jar lamps some years back, and it was a great, inexpensive solution. You could even stain the rope (as long as it is not nylon) to get a richer color.

Then some rattan chairs, or even the wooden chairs, might feel more like they belonged.

As for 2 or 4? I really think that depends on the chairs, but if for the majority of the time it is just the two of you, I would stick with two. Folding chairs or a pair of stools that compliment your chair choice would be fine for the grandkids when they come -- you could even paint and personalize them for each of them.

• deeinohio
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Les for your input. I've always liked the table because I love wrought iron, and it was small enough to fit in the space. It really does have more of a presence IRL than it appears. When we built the house 12 years ago, we should have bumped out the eating area more, and better placed the overhead light. Therein lies some of my problem. I can't stand the table not centered under the misplaced light and I have little walking space between the table and the counter. I don't think I can go much larger with the glass table top, but maybe the answer is to find a more substantial base. I have too much dark wood in the cabinets, woodwork, and doors, so I'd like to keep it light. I also would really like comfortable chairs since I often sit there on the computer. Here's my problem:
    Thanks,
    Dee

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida