SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldhomeplace

4 1/4 '' space btwn counters and sills- which size subway tile?

Hannah Koenker
10 years ago

This forum has been amazing so far in planning our kitchen remodel. I'm now officially delurking since I wasn't able to find this question in the forums. We are redoing a 50's ranch kitchen and there is 4 1/4" between the top of the counters and the sill of the windows (this space includes where the stool trim would be). Currently there is old laminate with stainless steel edging as a 4" backsplash. We'll be doing subway tile down to the new counters, but do you need to choose a tile size that is a factor (mathematically) of your space - i.e., we need to go with two rows of a 2x4 or a 2x6 or a 2x something, rather than a regular 3x6, since that would mean having a full tile and then a 1/3 tile height? Or does 1.33 rows look ok?

I'm not worried about the 1/4 inch since the windowsill comes out about an inch and you wouldn't see under it for a gap, if there is any. Windows are wood trim, a bit battered but we like them, so we're not changing anything there, unless it's possible to update only the window sill material (especially by the sink).

Thanks!!

Comments (5)