SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alwaysfixin_gw

Love Marvin, But Too Expensive, Pls Suggest Next Best

alwaysfixin
13 years ago

Background: we need to replace two double-hung windows in our kitchen. They are original to the house, built in late '50's-early '60's. To say they are "drafty" is inadequate. You can really feel the penetrating cold emitting from them. We are located in a suburb of Chicago. In the recent blizzard, snow has piled up between the storm window and the interior window. The rattling also is bad. We do not need to screen the sun, as these windows face north and northwest, there are a lot of trees, and, well, we live near Chicago.

We want to get double-hung windows to replace the existing ones. Casement windows won't work because the kitchen counter is just beneath the windows, and there is no room for a crank; plus casement won't match the windows in the rest of the house. We do need to stay with the mid-century look of the house, and by "mid-century", I don't mean "cool mid-century modern", but rather, middle-america suburbia mid-century look.

I know we will like the Marvins, but I believe they are pricey. The Marvins are not completely out of the running, as we have not priced them yet, and perhaps we will be able to afford them. But it would be great if we could find something near as good for less money. Please do not suggest Pella's--been there done that in another house, never again. Should we be looking at Andersen? Kolbe? Weathershield? Something else? Thanks in advance for your advice. (No Spam please :))

Comments (15)