SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lite1

Pls make suggestions on overall L-shaped/Island K layout 2nd Round

lite1
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My original thread is here (http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3220200/please-make-suggestions-on-overall-l-shaped-island-k-layout) for reference, several things have changed so perhaps I can get some feedback on the alternative K layout below, thanks in advance.

While goals as stated in orig thread and use for K remain pretty much the same I will repeat at end of this post. 60% of my cooking is very simple breakfast; reheated home made frozen main course and with steamed vegies, and salad; 30% large batch cooking day (sometimes with 2nd cook) and then meals are frozen. 10% other, with very very little entertaining.

Proposed K layout:

1st giving overview; all have 2nd part of stairway to upstairs removed (the understairs storage is quite narrow 4' max. and ceiling drops to 4' or less so while proposed as pantry in original thread it really does not work well for that function)

?s/concerns that you might address in your feedback

Note that particular cabinets are just place holders and none are shown for Island.
1) Dimensions Key ones are pretty well set. a) Island at 8'4" x 5' seems quite large - and far too big? I'd probably pull back/reduce (green dashed line) side by DR by perhaps 16", and consider something low there dedicated to use by DR, or small bench to take off shoes when coming in that exterior door.
b) A39" seems tight, and A6'10" seems like waste of space; should A51" be larger? an even wider Island (to 65" max quartz from Cambria) is feasible, but not sure is good idea in proportion to space.
c)
A53", should this be >? Will most likely NOT do the expense of counter depth fridge; modern stools will either completely tuck in below Island overhang, or won't stick out much.

2) Work triangles Fridge to main sink is 14' 1"; but triangle with Prep sink is efficient and would be used 60% of the time, so perhaps this is workable. Are either unworkable? Main triangle does intersect Island by more than 10.5"

Other information
K window Views
in order of preference are at B1 followed quite closely by all marked as B2; and B3 while very nice is a bit less appealing than others. Due to trees in foreground that I will not cut or trim, window views in K itself degrade significantly from B1 to 2 to 3 (they are very pleasant beyond just allowing natural light, but loose any mountain view). As strongly suggested by comments in orig thread numerous more windows have been added to North side of K.

Since I don't bake or use oven much, likely I will be fine with induction range (and hood, or undercab hood) rather than cooktop and wall oven; and with the cost savings can invest elsewhere.

Again as cost savings and what I consider to be reasonable value, I will have single door large fridge with lower freezer rather than true counter depth appliance, and probably have found model where only the door handles and an inch of door would extend beyond counter depth.

At this prelim stage not at all set on quartz countertops, and am considering large format porcelain tile, and other options.

New home K will be much larger with more storage than current, and it already works OK.

Sorry I don't have better and more accurate photos.

B1 views to northwest are like this

B3 views toward due West are like this

Copied from orig thread:

I am moderately far along with floor plan design on new modern home
in
rural area, and seek input on overall K layout which is only at early
stage. As I had been warned, while architect is great overall, their K
design leans toward matching rest of house and looking nice, but not as
functional as it needs to be. I'm new to forum and figuring out steps
for posting. Will post image showing part of lower house level for
context; larger image of K area; photo of view out window which I hope
to enjoy from numerous K spots.

House is about 3,100SF; modern split level; sunken living room; very
open floor plan from entry through LR, K, and DR, with opportunity for
borrowing wonderful views through large windows. K used almost always by
one cook at a time; two adults in home - 3 cats; one adult son visits
on occasion. Cooking is often of very large batches of food that are
then frozen, reheated, and served with a simple salad and vegetables.
Limited amount of entertaining that involves food. Many meals would be
eaten at K island. Very limited baking activity. Unlikely that
(grand)children would be using K.

Prefer K to feel open and restful. Dimensions are fairly well set,
especially as there is upstairs room above that'd be impacted by any
changes. 9' ceiling in K. In addition to pantry area under the stairs
accessed from K, the Laundry is also pantry with freezer and storage of
very large mixing bowls, dry goods, and other things for my batch
cooking days.

Comments (18)