SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
callmerae

difference in parenting...how do we connect!

callmerae
17 years ago

grrrrrrrrrrr...I am very frustrated..my husband and I got married in august of last year after 4 years of being together. My three boys lived with me..his girls lived with his ex and grandparents. We parented my children with the same rules...sometimes I had to tell him not to be so ironfisted but for the most part we agreed and he made me a better parent who didn't let things slide...well a month after we got married he got custody of his children by social services. A year ago my eldest son went to live with his dad..he is an abusive man who did a very good job of parental alienation telling him he should tell us off instead of doing as told..he had rights he told him...so one day I said you need to go to your dads home cause these are our rules and I won't be told off by a 13 year old and told you don't have to listen..dad says so (this is the ex husband if you can't follow)...anyway, ex worked on son no. 2 who promised to buy him this and that and he went as well..he is 12..it has been assessed and we are waiting for the results...so in any case now we have my 8 year old son in the home and my husbands 9 and 12 year old daughters. We get along fine and so do the children...problem is my husband...we tried a you discipline yours and I will disc. mine but I am the one home in the mornings and after school so I gently reprimand but then the girls complain to dad, I tell hubby this and that is going on and he says no it isn't, I asked my daughter and she said this, or tells me I am picking on them, I am being difficult etc. and nothing gets resolved. Hubby wanted HIM to address his girls and me to call him and me to do nothing. So on Tues. I come home to a house full of kids...4 extras...we have a rule no kids in the house if an adult is not home...the kitchen is pulled a apart and they are making a picnic for my son and a girl that they think it cute to set up (which I already said smarten up kids they are 8 years old and they said the discussion would stop)..I am livid at this point..I am vibrating..so I go upstairs to call hubby who says whatever..I am working..deal with it..I told him if I was going to deal with it there would be consequences..he told me I could not do that!!!!!!! so I called him 3 times and said either you call these girls and say again the rules or I will handle this..he did..I had a chat with my son and he lost half his allowance because he knew the rule of no friends over and would know that the kitchen doesn't get torn apart like that..though he was outside so maybe didn't know..I asked hubby what the consequene was for the girls and he said he didn't know.hadn't had time to think and they left for a visit with their mom..at the end of the night when they got back, one is having a bath, one is watching tv and hubby is lifting weights. I asked if he had time to deal with it now and he said lay off. One of the girls goes downstairs and I go down and ask if we can have a family meeting..minus my 8 year old who is sleeping and he said no, they are saying prayers..we could have a meeting after..so I go upstairs and wait..then his daughter comes upstairs and goes to bed and I go downstairs to say where was our meeting and he said he met wtih her himself. I said hmm...ok..we are a family but YOU run the show..what is the consequence? he said he was still thinking...this is on tues evening..meanwhile his same 9 year old daughter he finds out, on friday had a temper tantrum with their mom and was punching the van cause she couldn't sit up front and was punching the outside of her van too..the mother didn't tell us, the eldest daughter did..hubby talked to his 9 year old daughter but never laid any consequences..this is friday...well the "picnic" was tues so tues night i ask what the consequence was for the van incident and he said he was still thinking...I asked again..begged actually that we parent the same...improper actions are followed by consequences..why won't he give any to his daugthers and he said that was up to him not me...this is tearing us apart because I am so angry that children are runnng the show..that is how i feel...so finally last night I told hubby I am taking the reigns back..period..they act up..I reprimand and will give consequences..he snaps that I can reprimand but need to phone him to approve consequences and I said nope..I am damned if I don't or do with you..you can be upset with me later but these girls are going to know that improper actions have consequences even if I am the ONLY one handng them out.......councelling you may suggest? we have an in home support worker that comes once in awhile due to social services intervention...however she keeps meeting with the family to discuss emotions and such and since day one I have said this is the issue...hubby will reprimand in front of the worker and she will say oh you are doing a great job keep it up...but he doesn't follow through after she leaves..last week we were suppose to discuss this but hubby said he was too upset he didn't want to so she left it and is away this week until next tues.............what on earth do you guys do for discipline and consequences...and if you don't agree how do you handle it

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County