SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom_of_6

New here and have a simular poblem as almoststepmom

mom_of_6
15 years ago

I posted this below but noticed that the last post was in Sept 07......I really would like some advice on this so I'm posting in it's own thread

I am going thru same situation as almoststepmom with a couple of differences. I love my 9 year old SD very much we talk a lot when she comes over every weekend as well as do things together, when her father is not around. She enjoys spending time with me when her father is not around, but when he is, she doesnt want nothing to do with me she is all over him. My DH also has a 15 year old daughter who I've only seen maybe 6 times in 1 ½ years. I have three children myself DD 5yo, DS 8yo, and DS 13yo, I also just had a DS with my DH 2 1/2 months ago. My DH and BM divorced 2 1/2 years ago and she moved another woman into her house. My 9yo SD is very clingy with her dad when we are all together and has to be touching him the whole time sheÂs here. For example, holding his hand, hugging him, sitting on his lap, being carried by him....ect....This doesn't bother me since I think a father/daughter relationship should be close since I lost my father to death at the age of 7. But lately SD has been acting in a way I think is inappropriate for a nine year old. Last weekend she wanted to put make-up on and dress scrimpy (mini skirt and tank top that belonged to my 5yo DD). And then just the other night she sent DH a picture of her getting out of the shower. I take this as a sign that she is trying to make her father love her in a different way . Almost like, to make her father see her as attractive. He said it was fine because she had a towel on. I donÂt agree I said it is not CUTE anymore. It might have stemmed from a comment he made to ME a few weeks back. I had just got out of the shower and was dressed and made up and he came to me and held me from behind and told me how beautiful I looked and he kissed me on my neck. As soon as he let go of me she ran and leaped into his arms and wrapped her legs around him. SD is not a small build she is 4 5" and 85 lbs. I am old school, no make-up till 13, dress appropriately and basically live like a 9yo not a 35 yo. I do tell DH my concerns when we are alone but he thinks its because she only sees him on weekends and that I am jealous. ThatÂs where my story is different. He encourages this behavior. He even talks to her like a baby most of the time. I try to tell him that at 9 years old she should be a little more independent. She should not be carried like a baby, not be talked to like a 3 year old and not be catered to the whole time sheÂs here. He doesnÂt agree. I think, he thinks she wonÂt want to come back if he alienates her in the slightest way. This wouldnÂt upset me as much as it does, if DH wouldnÂt alienate my children and I the whole time she is around, itÂs like we donÂt even exist and sometimes acts like we are a burden to him. He is very strict with my children (not physically) discipline wise, but he is very blind to what his daughter does. He says he doesnÂt see it. I think he doesnÂt WANT to see it so he doesnÂt have to yell at her because he might upset her. For instance, if one of my children want to hug me or sit on my lap while we are together he immediately pushes them away and says "Back OFF!" Like I said my relationship with my SD is wonderful she gets along with my children and I very well. ItÂs the relationship I have with DH when she is around and in addition to her actions that bothers me. I must add that he calls her every night to talk to her and bought her a cell phone so she can call him at anytime. She also stays extra with us when she doesnÂt have school. As for spending time alone, my children arenÂt around every other weekend and I usually leave them alone so they can have alone time. IÂm afraid this situation is going to ruin OUR relationship if he doesnÂt change HIS ways and he tries to change HER ways. It is a shame, since we have a newborn together. I havenÂt approached SD about this but I think I will now since she has produced different actions that are inappropriate. I donÂt have the problem of sleeping arrangements but I do have the problem of stomach aches and head aches when DH and I are conversing or doing something together. These actions have been going on since we met 1 ½ years ago. It was real bad in the first year where she wouldnÂt even talk to me, since then we have grown to get along but she is still overly attached to her father. I have learned a lot from these posts already and I hope to learn more after you all read mine. IÂm just glad IÂm not the only one going thru this because IÂm tired of being called JEALOUS. And that a 9 year old can be held accountable for her actions and that I shouldn't just leave them alone and let them have there relationship. DH and I also need a relationship she needs to except his feelings for me as well as I need to except his feelings for her or the relationship will fail and for my newborn's sake I will not let it fail do to a 9 year old who can't stop acting like she is the only one in his life and him acting like she is the only one in his life. Life is full of hardships and things we don't understand but that is life, you learn to get past these obstacles from birth thru adulthood. Please comment/question on this as I would love to hear responses whether they are possitive or negative I'm here for guidance and support.

Comments (9)