SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ceph_gw

ADHD etc and (over)diagnosis

ceph
15 years ago

I didn't want to hijack, so I thought I'd make a new post:

Ima said "I'm not knocking anyone that has a child that is truly ADD/ADHD but I do think it is over diagnosed and it's shameful if a parent chooses to medicate a child that needs nothing more than consistent discipline and patience."

I'll certainly agree that it's over diagnosed! I've known plenty of kids who are just normal "hyper" kids, but are diagnosed as ADD or ADHD and it drives me bonkers. I also know kids who probably should be treated for something, but their parents won't admit that their precious angel could have something "wrong"... Which is equally bonkers-driving.

In a lot of ways I think the Hunter vs Farmer theory of ADHD is stupid, but I do like the idea that it should be viewed as set of behavioral tendencies with advantages and disadvantages. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_vs._farmer_theory, if you don't know what I'm talking about)

To give anyone who isn't familiar with the upside of ADD/ADHD and idea, A__'s ADHD gives him lots of neat skills. For example:

He's very good at hand-eye coordination activities like art and video games.

He can remember landmarks and routes really well because he sees EVERYTHING.

He can multitask like nobody's business and actually does better multitasking than single tasking.

He can memorize things very easily.

He might have some of these skills even without ADHD, but it's easy to see what role it plays in the extremity of his skill set.

Anyhow, my opinion is that the overdiagnosis of behavioral disorders is because we love love love to problematize. I'm not innocent of this, but we love to label things and decide if they are desirable or not. We have decided that the personality traits of ADHD are undesirable and seek to correct them.

I definitely think that a lot of the "problems" of ADHD can be "corrected" by teaching behavior management to both the caregivers and the kids.

A__ had a good teacher this year, who wanted him to learn to be accountable for his own decisions, and so on, but she wanted him to LEARN to do this, not just to take a pill and not make the mistakes... Which is what we're trying to do with him too! He needs his meds, but he also needs to learn to deal with his ADHD. We hope that his teacher next year is as good with him!

Comments (2)