SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pashan_gw

Husband & 14 year old daughter

Pashan
17 years ago

Gosh, I don't even know where to start with this post. Exactly how much information is too much? Well, I'll just apologize in advance, as I'm sure to be long winded.

My husband I have been together for 12 years. We each had a daughter when we married. His was 9 and mine 4 when we married 10 years ago. His daughter is disabled and does not function as a "normal" 19 year old. My daughter is a stereotypical 14 year old - attitude, drama, phone stuck in her ear, spends hours on her hair, thinks her friends are the only important people in the world, mostly concerned with what songs are on her iPod and what movie she can go to next! She fights with her 3 younger siblings (ages 9, 6 and 5) and gets mouthy with her parents. She is bossy and a know-it-all.

For the record, I am a mouthy know-it-all as well! I was once just like her! However, as an only child I didn't fight with siblings and I'm much too old to have an iPod!

About 3 years ago my husband adopted my daughter (her father disappeared when she was 18 months old, thank goodness!!) From the minute I ment him he was a wonderful father, to both his daughter and mine. He played with her and loved her just like his own. It was heartwarming and contributed to my was certainly a factor in the "love equation".

I think it is important to say at some point that I am the disciplinarian in our family. I am strict and a no-nonsense kind of person. He is a total pushover and everyone knows it. He lets the kids (all of them) get away with way to much. They have had him figured out since the day they were born. It's a joke, honestly... I've tried to talk to him about punishing them but he just doesn't do it. He will let it build up and then get angry and dish out a grounding - only to revoke it the next day because he feels guilty! (Gee, who learned what from that?!?!)

The grapes have gone sour on the vine so to speak. For about the past 4 or 5 years he has become disenchanted, with her. He thinks my daughter is disrespectful (she is) and he just simply can not handle it. She is argumentative and mouthy. When I have had enough of her teenage attitude I tell her in no uncertain terms that her tone with me is unacceptable and that I WILL NOT be talked to like that.

He refuses to do that, he just gets mad at me and then I hear all about how horrible she is. He claims they have a "personality conflict" and that she needs to treat him with more respect if she expects him to be nicer to her.

Just tonight I challenged him to give me one example of a "positive exchange" between the two of them in the past month and he COULDN'T DO IT!!!! He thinks that SHE needs to be the one to "make the move" but I see it the other way. I have said until I am blue in the face "One of you has to be the adult here, you win that one by default. She is 14 and you are 45." I have given him specific examples of how he treats the other kids different, of how he makes and effort to "do things" with them but never with her. He claims it's because the phone is always in her ear. Always an excuse...

Tonight he was going to bed and she was dancing around in front of him blocking him from getting to me (all the while, laughing and teasing) and he picked her up by her arms and moved her out of the way. I could tell he was not happy. Then she told him with tears in her eyes that he had hurt her and he snapped back at her, "Then get out of my way" and with that he kissed me goodnight and went upstairs.

I gave him aboug 5 minutes then followed and asked "What in the he11 was that about?" and THIS is what he said to me.

"I CAN'T STAND HER!"

He says that what he ment was "I can't stand her attitude". I don't really care what he ment. I heard what he said.

What do I do? I'm at a total loss. I feel like I am being forced to choose between my husband and my daughter. He is not a violent person, quite the opposite honestly. He has never hurt anyone, and never ever would. I would leave him in a heartbeat if that were the case, I assure you all.

I agree that our daughter needs an attitude adjustment, but is this something that warrants this type of reaction from him and I am missing something? She is currently grounded and has been all week for her "attitude" towards us. Her mistakes do not go unpunished. He claims I treat her too good though. I feel like maybe I do try to compensate for what he doesn't do though.

I am not sure what to do right now. Can someone please just talk me down right now? I'm at a total loss...

Thank you

~P

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor