Help ! How do I paint on screen?

jazzygardener

I've seen some cute designs that were painted on a regular window screen so I went home and tried. I tried both acrylic and enamel paint but couldn't get it to stick to the screen. I'd like to try again. Does anyone have any ideas?

SaveComment12Like
Comments (12)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
craftylady-2006

I've seen the painted screen doors/windows and they are really cute. It behooves me that the acrylic/enamel paint is not sticking to the screen, both of those paints should do just fine. By any chance, are you watering it down? If so, don't! I will also say, with acrylic paint you will have to seal it for outdoor use as it will eventually wash off in the elements. The enamel paint should be fine by itself as long as you let it "cure" as on the paint bottle instructions. You might want to try "Patio Paint," find it at Michael's or Joann's Craft Stores. A tip a crafter gave me about the painted screens is to paint it on both sides. Try pouncing up and down with a sponge brush and not a bristle brush, that may help it stick better. (You're welcome),

Sal

Save    
luvstocraft

Jazzy, there's an answering post for you over on the painting forum too.We asked Sweets to tell you how she painted hers. She has one that has been outside all year and still doing good.Be sure to head back over there for more info too. Luvs

Save    
cathytx3

Jazzy:

Well, here's what my husband did. Mind you, it was a small screen - used more for inside decoration. He painted a farm scene using a toothpick dipped in paint. Kind of like you were following a cross-stitch graph. He then filled in each square with the paint and 13 years later it still looks great. But, again, it's inside where it's covered so that probably makes a world of difference.

Good luck,
Cathy

Save    
kacram

are you using the newer placticy/fiberglassy type screen or is your metal. I would try a black or charcoal or gray primer for plastic over the screen and then try painting!

1 Like Save    
sallyanna

I used stencils and stencil paint on mine and its lasted a long time!

Save    
lindac

This lady seems to have figured it out....I have been buying her stiff for about as many years as she has made them.....I am glad to see she's getting recognition.
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Out of my mind designs

Save    
nanajoanne

folk art acrylic paint works really well. tempura paint also works rather well. It also depends on what type of material is being used. Screen often used for windows show be a soft material that preferably has the tiny holes closer together. The best type of screen to use is called Charcol screen. the edges are incredibly soft and pliable yet paint adheres very easily. Prep the screens before using them as you would if you were going to paint on canvas. i hope you can understand all of this easily enough. right now the letters do not look all that great. i suffer from vertigo and tinitus and tonight is one of those nights when things begin to swim befroe my eyes.

pastels and chalk or crayon also works well. i have a few ideas that you can use to give it a 3 d effect.

anther thing that works well is the paper or silk type sreen. Pastels can also be used.

Save    
PRO
One Creative Place

OK, so I went to "Out of my Mind Designs" and it's no longer there. What I need to know is what to prime the screen with to make the paint stick? Plain ole paint primer?? Mod Podge? Can anyone help???

Save    
craftyintx

I used regular spray primer and then painted with craft acrylics.

1 Like Save    
PRO
One Creative Place

Thank YOU! Finally someone replied. Thank you so much!!!

Save    
Kimberly Retterer

So I painted my screen, I love it... I used acrylics. Do I need to seal it with anything? Spray a clear coat? Thank you in advance ..,

Save    
Jane Roberts

I want to know what is the white stuff that is put down first to paint on

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Painting Help! What Color Should I Paint My House Exterior?
Real homeowners get real help in choosing paint palettes. Bonus: 3 tips for everyone on picking exterior colors
Full Story
Front Door Colors Help! What Color Should I Paint My Front Door?
We come to the rescue of three Houzzers, offering color palette options for the front door, trim and siding
Full Story
Life Help! I Spilled Paint on My Clothes — Now What?
If you’ve spattered paint on your favorite jeans, here’s what to do next
Full Story