SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
california_dreamer

If you have custom painted cabs, how are they holding up?

california_dreamer
16 years ago

Apparently in CA there are some pretty strict EPA regulations that prohibit the use of polyuerethene or oil based paints in custom cabinets. So mine were painted with a water based paint and a lacquer finish. They were not finished on site, but rather at a cabinet shop where they have a "spray room" (again to comply with enviromental regulations). My cabs were sprayed a total of 5 times.

The lacquer finish is quite thick but chips very easily! Many of my drawers already have little nicks and chips in them and I have only been using the kitchen for 4 months! They sent someone out to do touch ups but it is still noticeable to me. He didn't smooth out any of the chips, just colored over them and the paint color doesn't even match. He compared my situation to getting a jar of touch up paint from a car dealer and trying to cover up little chips on the car. It never really looks good.

I'm unhappy with this situation and my GC is coming over today to talk to me about it.

Should I just accept the minor chips and dents as part of having a painted kitchen? Is there any solution to this situation?

Any advice is appreciated!

Comments (2)