SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
work_in_progress_08_gw

Question - too much gold??

Hi - I've been a lurker on this and the other GW forums for years, but just signed on to participate so please be gentle. Many great ideas have come from reading the posts on this forum, i.e., my new laundryroom.

I am getting to the end of reno of my home. The problem seems to be that all of the wall colors are different shades of gold or yellow. I just finished DD bedroom with SW Blonde and it reads very gold in her room. Upon the completion of painting her bedroom, she asked me if I noticed that we have the same basic colors throughout all rooms of our home. She's right.

LR is painted a soft gold (tried 12 qts of different colors) of paint before deciding on the gold 3 yrs ago (can't remember the color). LR is black leather sofa and chairs, cherry cocktail table, marble top antique side table, kind of eclectic if you can picture it in your mind's eye. Lots of gold and burgandy accents.

I have many antique pieces acquired from family that I've used throughout my home. SW case clock in foyer with Sheffield table (both cherry) walls are the same soft gold as LR/DR.

D/R upholstered chairs in a gold damask, DR table is cherry as is breakfront decorated with heavily accented Asian collections from trips to China, Vietnam along with other things collected from travels.

Kitchen is a gold-more yellow which flows into back entry. Roosters have found a home in my kitchen. So alot more red in the kitchen.

My office is a color match of antique lampshade I had mixed at HD. Two very red leather club chairs, black framed photos, more red and black accents. It reads medium linen which flows through hallway to my husband's new office, hall and side entry.

I made a wall hanging after looking at Pier I and not wanting to pay alot of $$ for a wall hanging. I will use that in the interim until I find something I feel really inspired by. I have hung a metal scroll-type accent above it in the foyer to the side entrance of the house.

Downstairs bath is again the medium linen walls - ORB Wall decor is the antique wrought iron pieces. Shower curtain burgandy with gold - good quality and texture.

Upstairs master bath hasn't been touched. Right now it is pale blue background with not much else to speak of. That is a project that will be finished after the MB.

Master has yet to be painted, so I am asking you experts before I buy the paint. Just laid a hardwood floor reads redish cherry and planned to continue SW Blonde in upstairs hall and through to MB - now I am second guessing myself? MB furniture is beautiful old oak by Lexington. Victorian in style.

Our home is not a large one, and I don't like when I go into a home that the owner has broken up every room with a different color. I think it makes a somewhat small home look even smaller? Maybe my imagination or need to justify my "all gold everywhere" home.

Is it a faux pas to have a very similar shade of color on the walls throughout your home. I love the flow, but am I missing something?

I know pics would help, but DH took my good camera on a hike in the Alaskan rainforest on a recent trip. It came back in a backpack filled with 3" of water:(.

Any thoughts suggestions, comments welcome and greatly appreciated.

Comments (13)