SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fleur222

Remodel halted over cabinet choice, advice please

15 years ago

I went from natural cherry v/s cream to cream v/s white cabinets. So yesterday I decided to visit a showroom rather than think it out and look at the internet or magazines... What I liked the most was a cherry wood, medium tone with a dark glaze. I guess the truth is I like them all, so which would look better in my home?

I have a remodeled cape, where a previous owner took the upper floor out, so that there is a cathedral ceiling when you walk in. The walls now are cream and I have white wood blinds on all of the windows. We have an addition on the side of the cape which runs the length of the house. It has good natural light. My kitchen will be in what was the 1950's kitchen/diningroom, only about 9 x 14.5 feet. It is open on one end by the addition, has a 4 ft window on another side, and is also partly open to the front room. This part of the kitchen will have a small peninsula which can be seen from the front door. (A reason to have wood cabinets?) The flooring through out the first floor is white oak.

The old kitchen is so bad, that I really do not have anything to compare it to. The cabinets had been covered with a tack paper and gold "picture frames" glued on to them!!!!! I sanded them and painted them white when we first move here, but now am ready to change footprint and all.

My friend said that she used to work in a kitchen remodel center and the people who started out with the worst spaces would get "paralyzed" and not be able to decide what to do. I guess that is me!!!

Our style has been traditional/formal, but I would like to have it a little less stuffy. We will probably be here for awhile, but our dream house, this will never be. An island will be on my list then.

Thnks!

Comments (6)