SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
williamsem

Remodel, confused, need advice re:cabinets and countertop

williamsem
12 years ago

Hello! I have been slowly remodeling rooms in my home and replacing appliances and I have to say this site has been consistently the most helpful resouce. Everyone here seems so willing to share!

I'm in over my head this time. We are planning a kitchen remodel and I am completely overwhelmed as this is not my forte. My previous projects have turned out great, but the process leaves me completely mentally drained and anxious. Plus they were not this costly.

We have a 1200 square foot townhouse-like home in a development. It was built in 1988 but not very well. It is nice, but the neighborhood and house is not the kind of place you want to put a $40k kitchen in.

I want to completely replace the old orange wood builder grade cabinets as the finish is coming off and they are hideous. Also new counter to replace the laminate, and new flooring. We have already replaced most of the appliances due to failure, so we have new Ge profile induction range, FD bottom freezer fridge, and dishwasher all in SS.

I will link to the computer mock up I have from my estimate for cabinets. I want to remove the soffits to increase storage, and also move the fridge from the main kitchen area to part of what is now the pantry and put in an actual pantry next to it, which is pictured in the mock up.

I was quoted about 8100-8300 for cherry Kitchenmaid cabinets in Bradford or Knollwood including moldings, borders and crown molding on top for the taller cabinets (about 1500 less if I keep the soffits). They have full pull out drawers, dovetail construction, soft close doors and are full coverage doors.

What I would like some opinions on are

1. Are Kraftmaid cabinets a good choice for affordable but good quality cabinets? I didn't see a whole lot posted here about them specifically.

2. Is that a reasonable price range? It was a little more than I was hoping, but I have absolutely no idea. That does not include installation.

3. Can anyone point me to a good place to compare pluses and minuses of solid surface, laminate, granite, quartz, and soapstone countertops? The more I read on here about countertops the more confused I feel. I think being able to read about them all in a concise manner would help if such a resource exists.

I am looking forward to your opinions. I love seeing all the fantastic remodels posted, and first hand experience is the best teacher.

Thanks,

Ellen

http://photobucket.com/albums/dd374/williamsem/kitchen plans

Here is a link that might be useful: Mockups

Comments (17)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor