SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quentinjamesp89

Home Remodel Covid Disaster - advice please!

Quentin Parker
3 years ago

My wife and I bought a house last year mid-March just as Covid hit (we actually settled the day the lockdown went into effect in our state and it almost didn't happen). We got it at a decent price despite the crazy market, because it needed a lot of work. Prior to this we had a good reno plan and a decent budget, which was of course immediately derailed by Covid.

We got hit at around the same time with me losing a lot more of my vision. I've never been able to see well as a result of a retinal disease, but last year it kicked in again in my only “good” eye (this is also thanks to Covid restrictions and missed check ups). I've had several eye surgeries since, with work on projects taking a hit each time, and now I'm trying to wrap up work on the house with a lot less vision than I had when I started.

So three things:

1. Budget is considerably lower (due to Covid restrictions and my eyesight my income has significantly decreased, though on the flip side I do have much more spare time now);
  2. We're living here so work has come along at a much slower pace (we couldn't get much done before we moved in or for the first few months due to shutdowns/surgeries, so now part of our consideration is that we're trying to avoid living in a construction zone that would be unsafe and inconvenient for my family);
  3. I'm now trying to finish all these projects with very little decent vision (I'm blind in one eye and legally blind in my good eye).

I'm looking for suggestions for how and where to cut corners and simplify without being sloppy or too cheap. Our original budget had me doing all the work, which due to my poor eyesight is a lot more challenging. We could possibly have dealt with this by hiring out the work, if our income hadn't taken a hit too. My wife can see and has done a ton of work, more than I would like, but we have a very busy toddler and we're expecting another baby as well, so that puts on limit on what she's going to do (I don't want her around paint or other product fumes, dust, heavy lifting, etc.).

The house is a few blocks outside the city and there's a cap to its resale value, so putting cheaper products in the house isn't a huge deal (people who want high end products won't want this house), and hiring everything out would be too big an investment to sink into the house even if we could afford it. We had originally planned out our renovations as well as we could not knowing what all we'd encounter (Lots of surprises...like old vinyl tile under all the carpets. Seller told us there were “great hardwood floors” underneath, which was true literally nowhere. Who puts vinyl tile over hardwood in bedrooms anyway?). We'd made room in our budget for surprises like that, but not for all the other crises that last year brought. So we're having to rethink things.

What are good things to eliminate from the budget and what are things it's worth spending more on (especially as far as future buyers are concerned)? Originally we had planned for a lot more gutting than we're planning now, and that would have meant nicer flooring and things like that. We're giving up a lot of our ideas of what would look “just right” here, but my wife and I do have some differences in our approach. I'm more concerned about things like rewiring and plumbing issues and my wife is more concerned with the décor and the finished look. She says future buyers will want a clean, up to date kitchen, for instance, but probably won't even notice how few outlets are in the bedrooms, for example, or care about having wall sconces rather than putting overhead lighting. What type of improvements should we prioritize?

What are things we could save money on? Fixtures and lights and things like that we're trying to find at places like Habitat, but with bigger things (vanity, etc) it often means stalling work for long periods with just a hope of finding something decent. Not very practical. And if we purchase things new that are cheap, well, we get what we pay for.

I really don't want this to be hack work, and we don't want the next people living in this house to be cursing our cheapness or ineptitude. We want to do things well, but without sinking a ton of money into it for which we won't see a reasonable return, and give the next owners a clean, usable, and up to date space. It's an old house and things are never going to be perfect.

Thanks in advance for the advice, and for all the very generous help I've gotten on here over the past year.

Comments (71)