SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goostergw

Looking for Ideas on Blending a Combined LR/DR

Gooster
10 years ago

It's an unhappy marriage....

My formal dining room got evicted by the newly expanded and remodeled kitchen. It is now being combined with the formal living room, but they are already fighting. The formal dining room set is very traditional while the formal living room was more Transitional/Modern. There are also some touches of Art Deco in the original house (which is sort a modified 1930s Colonial Revival). The kitchen (linked here: Reveal) and the in-progress FR are traditional with a touch of Hollywood Regency. The kitchen is directly across the entry from the LR. The FR is down the center hall in back.

So, I'm seeking ideas on how to combine the two areas without buying a whole new set of furniture for the room.

Here's the dining room set:

Here's the living room side -- still very crowded:

Another view to the side:

The coffee table is a goner, as the dog got to it one day and chewed a cross support.

Ideas thus far:
* bought a new drum chandelier in a Hollywood Regency style. It has a trellis graphic lining the shade, in a polished nickel.
* take down terrible sconces; they intrude onto the dining space.
* Replace the end chairs with hostess/captain's chairs in upholstery.
* Already removed the top of the very traditional China hutch.
* Replace the rugs with similar/better coordinating/identical ones.
* Replace the window treatments; either move to silk draperies or to roman blinds. I am concerned with draperies as they may impinge on the dining area.
* Replace the coffee table, repeating the graphic/geometric design that is in the shade.
* The basic wall/trim paint theme is kind of set, as it flows through much of the house. Thus, this room takes on more of a monochromatic scheme with the mostly taupe/neutral backdrop but with some olive and rust entering into the mix.

Note: Some of the accessories have found a temporary home on some of the surfaces during the five room remodel

Comments (12)