SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kiki_redo

hanging a watercolor painting over gas log fireplace

kiki_redo
13 years ago

this week, a watercolor artist took photos that she will use to do a portrait of my daughter. i'm beyond happy about it, it's something i have always wanted

i don't know much about the portrait yet, except that it will be the size of a full sheet of watercolor paper. i don't even know if the portrait will be horizontally or vertically oriented. i'm not sure how watercolors are typically framed, so don't know how large the framed watercolor would ultimately be.

i linked to some photos of the awkward space i have for a lr/dr in our house. we just bought this house and the photos are actually of the prior owner's stuff - right now we have nothing in the room at all.

i can see only 3 potential locations for the portrait.

1. large wall behind sofa, but we hope to build in bookshelves there

2. dining room side wall with sconces(where we need to place daughter's piano) where i will never see it unless i am eating dinner and which might be too small anyway

3. over the fireplace (with gas logs) where it would be visible everyday from many vantage points in the house, but i'm very concerned that it might not be a safe place to hang the painting.

i'm worried about hanging it over the gas fireplace - heat damaging the portrait, soot damaging the portrait. how would i know if it's safe to hang it there? i don't think the fireplace would be used frequently because there is another fireplace in the family room.

would a framed watercolor be too heavy to take down during the season that we use the fireplace - is that a ridiculous idea?

would a mantle deflect heat enough? is there a mantle style that would work here? i think many mantle styles would look off with the contemporary style of the home.

and if you happen to be looking at the fireplace photos, i'd also love to have input about changing the mortar color, maybe to something paler, closer to the stone color? the brass/glass thing must be replaced, but i'm not sure with what. i'd actually like to downplay the importance of the fireplace even though it's huge, because the stonework is really not attractive.

and one day soon, i'm going to change out the front door and ask for help about what i could do with the pony wall, and how i could possibly arrange seating in this weird little space.

my plan is to get a sense of what the colors in the watercolor will be and then choose my paint colors, hardwood flooring, and get bookshelves built in, working from the painting as a starting point.

i very much appreciate all the thoughts and advice here - tia!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: lr dr fireplace photos

Comments (5)