SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
try_hard

Rain drops, wind noise in my chimney-free gas logs fp-how to fix?

15 years ago

Hello! I just moved into a new construction house that has a gas logs fireplace but no chimney; there is just an exhaust pipe sticking out of the roof. When it rains, it sounds like large raindrops are coming into the exhaust pipe - and it's REALLY loud, like an old metal coffee can is catching drips from a leaky roof. I have not yet seen any water drip down into the fireplace, but I'm worried about where that water is going or how long it's sitting in the pipe and whether it will corrode the pipe.

Furthermore, when the wind blows, we hear it coming into the exhaust pipe and it's so loud we actually have to turn up the tv to hear it over the wind.

I called the local company that provided the fireplace and asked them about it and they told me there is a damper they can install (total cost about $200 for parts and labor) that will "help" but the employee didn't know how much it would help. I'm not convinced this is the solution to my problem.

Has anyone experienced this before? Do you know what I need to do about this? We have had alot of rain and wind here since moving in and I really want to correct these problems.

Here are the only pictures I can find from the construction phase that show the fireplace or the exhaust pipes:

Rear view:

Thank you,

Try_Hard

Comments (28)