SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

Can I open the damper on an UNVENTED log set?

andrelaplume2
16 years ago

I posted this in the fireplace forum. I am looking for some techie advise or someone who has experience with this issue.

We had just about given up using the wood burning fireplace that came with the 20 year old home we bought. We simply do not like the smell or mess of wood. A propane insert would be perfect affording us the ambience we want AND providing heat but it is out of our budget.

A vented gas log set would be acceptable. No heat but a nice flame. Unfortunately law dictates that the damper must be locked in the open position all the time and when we open it we can feel cold air coming in the house. My recliner sits along side the fireplace and I can feel a draft. As we know the damper must be locked open on a vented log set so that appears to eliminate that option unless I knew it were possible to insulate my glass door set. Then I might be in business but I am not sure this is safe or possible.

That leaves an unvented log set. I know there is controversy here. We had a guy out. He said with our open floor plan moisture should not be a problem. We'd have the flame and heat of an insert for about 1/3 the cost. However, 2 of us have allergies so he reccomended against the unvented logset. Personally I think adding mositure to the room is abd idea anyway. Sounds like strike three right?

Now the techie question. If I get the *unvented* logset, can I just open the damper when I fire it up allowing the pollution/mositure and heat to go up the chimney instead of intothe house? Does anyone know for a fact that none of this pollution would be coming into the home? Would the log set work, would I still get a nice flame, would it still burn efficiently or would it use more gas? Also, when the thing is not running I assume there is a pilot light lit...is that throwing mositure into the room too--any more than the old gas range at our old home?

It sounds like a great solution but then again no one reccomended it. Another plus would be if my heatpump ever dies I'd have backup heat. (better have some pollution for a day or so than no heat)

Thoughts, particulary form a techie or someone with experience---thanks!

Comments (21)