SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

Will knobs and pulls help me like my oak cabinets? What size?

juddgirl2
13 years ago

PO completely remodeled the kitchen just before we bought our house and I like everything except the oak cabinets, which I think are just too shiny and too orange. They are, however, great quality (definitely not builder grade) and only 10 years old so they're staying (plus, I have no $$ left from our remodel to replace them anyway :-D).

Once my bank account recovers, I'd like to either stain them darker or paint them an off-white with glazing. If I paint them then I would also want to replace the 10 yr-old black appliances w/stainless steel, so it may be awhile.

In the meantime, I thought that adding hardware might be a less expensive way to tone down the great expanse of uninterrupted orangish wood. I like Restoration Hardware's Felicity hardware and was thinking of using pulls for the 12 drawers and 3 large pantry doors, and knobs for the 27 doors.

I like the smaller 1" knobs for the doors, but have no idea what size pulls I should get for the drawers and pantry doors. The drawers vary from 16" - 18" wide and the pantry doors are 68" tall. The pulls come in 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12" sizes. I've seen more contemporary kitchens with large pulls, but my house is definitely more rustic and not at all modern.

Also, I have ORB hardware and light fixtures throughout my house, including 3 pendants over my kitchen island, and granite counters and slate floors are earth-toned, so I was thinking ORB knobs and pulls would be best. Would this finish work with stainless steel appliances?

One last question - has anyone used RH hardware and consider them to be good quality for the price?

So many questions but these are the things I obsess about now that I'm not thinking about floors, walls and trim :-D

Comments (30)