SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jillyjax

Paint Sheen/Colors for Fireplace (Ben Moore)

jillyjax
15 years ago

This house is a 1957 contemporary; we opened the den and kitchen to each other.

The kitchen and the one adjacent wall of the den is 983 Smokey Taupe eggshell finish. The fire place is on this den wall. It is flanked by two large windows and 10' Ben Moore Ceiling White ceilings.

The remainder of the den is 75% Indian River, eggshell finish.

I've used White Dove trim throughout the house with the 983 Smokey Taupe.

The plan is to use 100% 984-Indian River for the brick of the fireplace. The fireplace has a concrete? vent? extending at an angle from the brick over the fire box. I don't have the paint card but have decided on a chocolate (not reddish and not green) brown.

The most important question is what paint sheen would you use for the brick? Flat sheen is in; however, I've only used eggshell throughout the house. A few other details - the brick is currently painted. The brick has a relatively rough mortar. I wanted to go darker to reduce shadows. Would a flatter sheen downplay the semi ugly mortar? Resurfacing at this time is not an option.

Second question, should I paint the hearth the same color as the vent or go with the 100% Indian River?

Next, what about the sheen for the vent that has a pretty smooth finish?

Last question if you've followed me thus far, is in regards to the trim. I used 75% Indian River with either 25% or 50% 982-Cedar Key trim in my master bedroom. It left a nice warm feel because it was a little less bright than the White Dove.

...since the fireplace wall is Smokey Taupe, I felt I needed to paint the windows that flank the fireplace with White Dove. Does this tie me into White Dove in the rest of the den that has 75% Stone Hearth on the walls?

We will install crown molding all around the den - but probably not the kitchen that has cherry cabs to ceiling. The floors are a dark green/black, veinless marble with sparkles (in the sun :).

I realize I should post pictures; however, it's not so easy as we don't live in the house yet.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner