SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Week Six of Construction on White Dove

User
9 years ago

We are in the second day of Week Six here. Yesterday some work was accomplished by the stucco guy touching up after the initial spray had dried some.

The roofing man introduced himself to me. He climbed on the roof and managed to not fall off while he measured. The number of squares added up to 22.8, so he ordered 25 squares (4 bundles per square of this) which will be shipped to arrive either Thursday or Friday.

The roofers were on the job around 7:30 this morning, checking which roof vents should be removed permanently, which stay put, and where any additional ones may be expected. Two will be removed permanently. The two turbines will be replaced with new ones, and one of them will be moved away from the other for better venting of attic heat. The new range hood will vent through the roof, and I spotted the location for him. It is the only one not accounted for presently. And, the dishwasher vent will move from one side of the sink to the other. Location identified by the window centered over the sink.

Our roofline has open rafter tails, so there can be no soffit vents. We use vents in the gable ends, and two turbines high on the ridge of the roof itself.

Our chimney flashing is getting replaced, it will be copper, as will the new chimney cap. I've suspected that chimney cap was loose for some time.

They removed about 3/5 of the old roof today. Tomorrow will see the end of that job, and the stickyback underlayment (storm shield it's called) which is up to code for hurricane zone construction. Depends on how the rest of the roof is attached that makes the difference though. It is said to withstand winds of 130 mph.

I had to get a darker color than I had hoped. My first hope was for standing seam metal. The architect, the builder, and DH all were against it for different reasons. The contour of the roof was not simple enough to make a really secure installation with metal.....and I wasn't informed enough to refute that. I think DH just flat did not like the look of the metal. He likes a more traditional look, and so we picked the same style of ultra high definition shingles that he put on his house up in MA. It is a color GAF calls SLATE, with some green blended into a charcoal gray. I was informed that the white and green blend would grow algae on it, discolor badly, and I saw what he meant from the discolored roofs of nearby houses. So, this is gonna be a darker roof, we'll have to deal with heat in the attic with increased insulation.

It is surprising that I am not as sensitive to the construction sounds these days. I feel like a fish living in a bowl though. I don't want to be in the way, so I come into the construction area before and after they leave. Or, when the contractor comes driving up in his big red truck. (He has to be an Alabama fan).

He dropped off the metal shower pan fabricated for the outdoor shower. I have a great design for an exposed outdoor shower, and have a call to the plumber for advice on assembling the parts for him to make it. I'll show you that picture I found later, and then the drawing of my interpretation. It will have shutoff valves and drain valves, never can be too careful about exposed pipes. The pipes shown go down through the deck, and they connect to the hot and cold lines coming through an opening in the house foundation. That is where the supply shut offs and the drain valves are located. Whether it will be galvanized or copper is going to depend on the plumber and his advice

Comments (5)