SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
secondlouise

Totally confused - I need some answers

secondlouise
14 years ago

I have read so many books and online directions and looked at messages on this forum clear back to 2007 and gotten much needed advice from y'all that I am really confused. Please some answers!

1. There are two kinds of nippers. One with wheels and one with solid plates that come together. Which one is the one everyone is talking about when they discuss nipping? Do they both serve different needs and if so what individual needs?

2. When should one use powdered thinset (which I understand can be used as the adhesive, grout, and sealer but not for outdoor things) and when does one use a seperate adhesive (silicon,epoxy,or other glue)and grout, and a sealer? Is it just a matter of preference or does it depend on whether one is doing GOG, china on plywood, or tile on either one? Does that make sense?

3. When should one use the GE Silicon for Doors and Windows (the adhesive most suggested) as the adhesive?

4. If working with a porous base (such as flower pot)what should one use as a sealer before starting project?

5. I bought Mapei Keracolor grout, in light grey. Now how do I tell how much to mix up and if I want it another color is it regular acrlyic craft paint I use to color it?

6. What is the Mapei Glass and Tile Mortar used for?

7. I found cans of One Step Groute Sealer at Lowes. Is that the sealer that is put on after finished with grouting, cleaning, and polishing? Also read on this site to use masonary sealer. Are they the same thing?

8. Some books say to put adhesive on a small section and then stick on glass, china, or tile. Other instructions are to "butter" each individual piece with the adhesive and stick it to the base (board, glass, wood, etc). Are both methods okay to use?

9. I found individual porceline and ceramic 4X4 tiles at Lowes. Are they the same type of tile as one buys cut up and put in bags at hobby store or orders from the internet? Which of the nippers will cut the 4X4 tiles up?

10.Is the correct sequence to plan project, prepare tiles, seal base if necessary, put terresse(sp) on, grout, clean, polish, and seal?

11.I bought alot of dishes to use. In order to get the color some of them are bowls, cups, mugs, etc. I have read reference to it being difficult if something has a slope to it. Does that mean one should only use flat things or is it refering to the base having a slope? Sorry this is so long. I can't get started because I am not sure of these things and I am so eager to start! I want to do it right! Yes, I am afraid! I can't help it. I wake up at night thinking about what to do. I need sleep, please help. Thanks

Comments (12)

Sponsored