SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Faux brick dilemna

neetsiepie
10 years ago

Our family room is approximately 16x20, and along one of the 20' walls it is primarily made up of this faux brick panelling. It's like a molded plastic, put up in 4X8 sheets. I'm really apprehensive about removing it, as the wall it's on was originally the back of the house (the room is an addition) and the PO had a habit of using paneling and wall paper to short cut finishing drywall. As in not taping seams, mudding, priming, etc.

The other walls all have pine wainscotting that I want to keep, but adding it to the other wall and matching the stain would be virtually impossible. I have no plans to paint the wainscotting.

The dark brick really sucks up the light in the room, as does the reddish ceiling. So what if I painted that brick? Do you think it would work? Would it look too weird?

The opposite wall houses the pellet stove, and that faux brick is made of clay and mortar. I probably will leave that as is, because the steel fire wall is impossible to remove, and it'd be just far too hard to remove that brick otherwise. I don't think I'd paint it as I could incorporate it into my planned redo.

Since I'm asking, I also want to paint the ceiling. We do love the wood, but it's such a dark, light sucking color. I want to go straight white, DH thinks maybe a white wash. It's got a glossy varnish on it-and it's got beveled edges, so I am not sure how it could be sanded. Can it just be primered with an oil base?

Back to that stupid faux brick wall...I need advice. Paint it (cheapest fix) or brave it and pull it off, possibly having to sheetrock at worst, tape and mud, then texture at best? If thast is the case, it'll probably NEVER happen! LOL.

Also, I am completely over the western stuff. My preference would be to go toward a coastal cottage feel-my husband is already planning to ditch a lot of the western knicknacks and *carp* that he's amassed.

This post was edited by pesky1 on Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 0:05

Comments (18)