SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darktempest

Benefits of a flat sheet over a duvet cover?

Raident
9 years ago

I come from a duvet cover family. Every time my mother bought a sheet set, the flat sheet would always end up sitting in some random corner of the storage room until she needed more rags, at which point it got cut up. I never really thought much about it until I moved out and started buying my own sheets, at which point I finally Googled it up and realized that a treatment which I'd only seen in hotels up till that point was actually something that millions of Americans do at home.

Having now tried the flat-sheet-between-me-and-the-comforter approach for a week, I still don't get it. It's sooooo much more work to make the bed every morning - with a duvet cover all I need to do is straighten it out and re-center when I get out of bed, but with the flat sheet the whole ensemble needs to be tucked in again in addition to that. Hotels might have room service, but I can't imagine how anyone who isn't rich enough to hire a full-time maid can put up with all the work.

There's gotta be something that makes the flat sheet approach attractive, but what is it?

Comments (54)