SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janwalshs

Newbie Here! New Small Home Buyer.

janwalshs
14 years ago

I just registered after reading the posts for awhile. I'm glad I found this forum.

I just recently bought a small home myself. A little background first. I was divorced last year. The ex-wife got the old home and I rented for a year. I had owned 4 homes with her. The last 3 were all 2 story houses with finished basements and over 2,000 s.f.

My new home is a 760 s.f ranch, 2/1 with no basement. Quite a change from my last houses! I've pretty much got it filled up already but that's OK. My days of collecting stuff are over.

It's just enough house for me. The yard is average sized, about 9,000 s.f. but that's ok as I don't like doing yard work anyway. It's in a solid blue-collar neighborhood in Shawnee Ks., part of the Kansas City metro area. I wanted to stay in Johnson County and you get much less house for the money here than you would in other areas of KC.

It's taking some getting used to but I see the advantages of a small house. Housework takes very little time and hopefully, my utility bills will be low this winter. As I get older, I think I will appreciate the lower maintenance of a small home.

From what I've read here. it sounds like I have one of the smaller homes on this forum. It seems funny when someone here mentions their small home and it's like 1,500 s.f. That's twice the size of my house!

My living room is rectangular shaped and not very big but enough for a couch, love seat, end tables and TV stand with TV. My kitchen is fairly big and is the best part of the house. It's updated and bright, clean and shiny. The bathroom was also updated but is very small. Definitely a bathroom where you get your business done and get out!

The 2 bedrooms are small but master is big enough for a queen sized bed and end tables and dresser. I use the other bedroom for a combo library and exercise room. The house is just big enough for a 51 year old man. I don't plan on having any extendend stay guests. I'v got no place to put them!

All in all, it's a good home and I think I will enjoy it here. Just want to say I enjoy reading this forum and to say hello to everyone.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville