SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cincywhodey

New to forum and layout help please.

cincywhodey
9 years ago

Hello,

I have been browsing this forum for the last month and have found very valuable information. I have begun the task of planning for a kitchen remodel. One of the biggest hurdles I am trying to figure out is how to find a kitchen designer. Sure I can open the phone book, sure I can walk into Lowes, I can even check Angie's list, but I still haven't really found a good resource for finding a designer. So trying to bypass that step a little bit, I've tried working out the layout on my own in hopes of when I do find a designer I can speed up the process already knowing what I want. Sorry if this post is long, hopefully I have provided enough information here to give you a sense of what I have to work with.

I have what at quick glace looks like what could be a large kitchen, but I am landlocked in a sense by many obstacles.

We are a family of 4 and a dog, we have friends and family over quite a bit, so the kitchen tends to be a high traffic area. We do not do a lot of gourmet cooking, but still need a very functional kitchen.

Our current kitchen has drawers that won't open without first opening the stove, it has limited knee space to stand next to the dishwasher, it has a peninsula that is not even counter depth so its virtually useless, we have some drain stack plumbing from the second floor bathroom that "hopefully" can be relocated. So in a nutshell, lots of things we'd like to correct in a new layout.

Our goal is increase prep space/plating space, minimize odd traffic flow patterns (zig zagging around islands to get to the fridge), eat in kitchen - we'd like to change our round table to a rectangle to allow for 6 person seating, avoid major reconstruction of walls, windows, doorways, etc.. Obviously we are on a limited budget, so needs, wants, and costs won't always line up.

Ok, so onto the fun pictures.

The first one is of the current layout.

The following two are the options I've come up with.

I few items of interest to point out. The window closest to the hearth room is ~21" from the floor, so without some brick work outside, we are limited how far the countertop can extend toward the hearth room. Additionally, any table cannot extend past the corner of the wall leading into the family room (bottom left) as this is a doorway.

And finally, here is a blank space drawing just to allow you to be a bit more creative than me. The space is 251" x 143". The space available at the top is 77" to the doorway to the dining room. The 251" side has two windows. 151" is the distance from the top to the window which cannot be raised (i.e. the max countertop distance). And finally, the other side, opposite of windows is 120"

I am fully aware that many do not like the corner sink option, but given the landlock I have with two windows and a pass through pathway to the dining room, it might be my only option to get extra continuous counter work space.

Thank you for any help, advice or input you could give me.

Comments (23)