SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jagmuse

Newbie Layout Attempt - would love some opinions

jagmuse
15 years ago

Hi All - newbie here. I've started playing around with layouts (although I think ultimately we will go to a KD, but I want to have a pretty good idea of what I want to do before going). We have a kitchen that was originally a small galley kitchen and dining room, but subsequently had the dividing wall torn out. There is a support beam where that wall was, and also a support beam along the one wall, but they shouldn't impact cabinet height - I think minimum clearance is 84".

There are 2 of us, and we don't do big dinners and are generally pretty informal. We hardly ever use the kitchen table we have now. We have always wanted a breakfast bar. But I don't know if we can make that work, given the size of the kitchen (11'6" x 17'9"). I should also add that I hate hate hate lazy susans and weird corner shelving, so I was thinking I would put a wall oven in the corner by the sink, but that may be a bad idea, and would love to hear what ppl think.

We are trying to keep the budget low, so I want to avoid a whole lot of moving of water/electric/venting, because the home is concrete block everything (walls, floors, ceilings), so it's not just a simple matter of moving things. The fridge does have water in it, so that is a consideration, although I think we can pretty easily put in a water hook-up on the opposite side. But I haven't really moved the appliances around much.

We also have our washer/drying in there. Currently they are in a weird little closet that wastes a lot of space, and is not original to the house, so I was planning to tear that out, and have them either under counter, or incorporated in somehow, to maximize space. I'm planning to get under-counter Duet Sports, and either stack or put side by side under a counter, but my two attempts at a peninsula/breakfast bar aren't leaving enough space.

Since we don't have a dining room, I would love to be able to still seat four, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to do that with a peninsula, and maybe I should just let that dream go and stick with a kitchen table.

So I'm opening it up to the wisdom of the group - these are pretty basic drawings, and aren't exact cabinet measurements, just the dimensions of my existing stuff extrapolated out, to get an idea.

Here is what we have now (pics are kinda big so you can see what's on them):

Here is one attempt:

Here is another:

Would love to hear what folks think!!

Comments (26)