SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessegirl_gw

Difficult Ex-any suggestions?

jessegirl
17 years ago

Hi,

I've posted before regarding some issues with my husbands ex, and found you all to be very supportive, and helpful. I'd like to ask for your opinions again. My husband has 2 sons. One lives with us fulltime, the other with their Mom. The ex is very angry, and full of rage (The son that lives with us was removed from her custody due to her abusing him). The boys are teens now, (13-14) and obviously their friends and other activities are becoming more important. The son that lives with his mother is socially pretty active, and plays sports, which in turn interferes with visitation since most of the practices and games are on weeekends. (He lives 1 hr away from us) Also, they're in the middle of a pretty volitile support battle--see my other posting! The day after our last court date, his son (that lives with BM) didn't want to come for his weekend. He wanted to stay and hang out with his friends. He did't tell us himself, but through his mother. We didn't fuss with it since his age and all, and to force a teenager on visitation will only backfire and create resentments.

The ex either calls or emails my husband on a daily basis, usually with some sort of demand or something that is really trivial. I believe that she is addicted to conflict..seriously. Since their relationship is volitile at best, he is trying to limit communication with her to emergencies, and issues around pick up and drop off of the kids. Anything else seems to just spiral into an argument and deteriorate from there. We've tried to be really responsive, and please her, but it's just not possible. The demands and emails/phone calls get worse and worse. She doesn't like this, becuase she wants that daily communication to try to engage him in some sort of fight. Well, he's really put his foot down, and has limited his contact with her over the past few weeks. He's also trying to communicate more with the son who lives with Mom, since he doesn't see him very often, and his calls are screened out when he does try to call him. He'll leave a message to have him call, but he never does. This weekend is our weekend for visitation. We were hoping to pick him up Thursday or Friday, and have him thru Sunday. Last night, he got an email from his ex stating that the son just found out that he has practice on Saturday, and that he (the son) asked her to email him, and let him know. So, my husband asked her to have his son call him to discuss this, because he feels that he's hiding behind his mother when he has to deal with these things. (He wants his son to speak to him about these things so that they can discuss it, and he can learn to deal with scheduling conflicts on his own, and not have his Mom do his work for him...his son is 13, but is very dependant on his mother to do everything for him.) She didn't like this apparently and just emailed him back "go to hell".

Since we're not dealing with a very reasonable person here, would any of you suggest that we just ignore her, and my husband just call his son himself to figure out the schedule? Obviously we don't want to put the kids in the middle, but with his age, and his level of dependency on his mother, wouldn't it make sense to have him be the one to call to say that he can't come over? Not to mention, we don't exactly trust her when she says that he has a game, or other activity. She's been known to lie in the past in order to exact some revenge on my husband.

Any input would be appreciated!!!!

Bless all you stepparents out there, we need it!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor